[BETA] Friends Mod 0.1.0a

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
jasonago

[BETA] Friends Mod 0.1.0a

Post by jasonago » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:50 am

Friends Mod 0.1.0a [BETA]

Hello guys!

The Friends mod (v.0.1.0a) is an improved-debugged version of the original SNW mod of niwotata. The friends mod allows you add a social networking system on your forum, much like of the Friendster, Hi5, and others.
The Friends Mod download files are now hosted at Omnidrive.com. The download links are already updated. Thanks for your support.

Friends Mod 0.1.0a (What you're looking for)
http://web.omnidrive.com/APIServer/publ ... 0a.tar.bz2

SNW mod (primitive, buggy)
http://web.omnidrive.com/APIServer/publ ... ui.tar.bz2

Friends Mod 2 POC (for developers, incomplete, buggy, the future)
http://web.omnidrive.com/APIServer/publ ... oc.tar.bz2
Freinds Mod 2 is released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License

Features:
- friends list (both parties have to agree to become friends)
- show friends on one's profile or on a seperate friends page
- show connection between one user and another, even up to the 10th degree (friend of friend of friend of friend of friend...of blah and blah...)
(A major improvement from what niwotata has done...)
- can add/ delete friend
- can invite outside friend(s) to join. Upon registration new user automatically becomes the friend of the user who invited him
- friend can make comment (user has to approve it before others can see it)
- Bbcodes are now allowed for comments and invites
(Another major feature added)
- user is able to enter extra user information when registering or editing their own profiles
- display extra user information on profile
- extra information has link to a list of people who share the same infomation (ie: same favorite song, etc.)
- admin can add, delete, edit types of extra user information from new control panel
- admin can provide options, including empty option, for single or multiple selection type of user information
- admin can change display order and decide if an information field is linkable on profile.
- user can search other users based on extra user information
- 2 search modes- quick search and detailed search (in detailed search you can provide multiple search criteria,
for example, you can search gender=female, status=single etc.)

Next Release Feature: Friends Mod 0.2.0
- Major re-code of all the implementations and algorithms
- Links and options in Friends panel are now organized
- 'Add a friend' feature added to explicitly invite many friends all at once
- 'Send Email Invites' mechanism will be modified to be more intelligent
- 'Introduce a Friend' feature will allow you to introduce your two friends who are not friends.
- You can now choose your bestfriend(s) from your friend list
- 'My Gifts' feature allows you to send and receive gift items like flowers, a smile, chocolates, or anything depending on the defined items by admin
- 'My Gallery' feature allows you to have an online photo album, music album, and file sharing capabilities. That's why its called Gallery!
- 'FriendMarks' feature will be added to add a bookmarking system.
- You can now view the status of your requests whether your friend invites or your comments were aproved or still pending.
- A new field will be added to Extra User Info: date field, textarea, country field
- All features are configurable in the Admin Cpanel.
- EasyMod compliant install file
- Integration with Blog Mod

Next Release Pending Feature:
- Integrate The Profile page and PM to the Friends Cpanel so that the Friends cpanel will now become a centralized User Cpanel
- Compatibility score, horoscope, and the likes...
- Friends with birthdays are shown in a separate section. This will depend on the Extra User Info. (phpBB has no birthday field by default and XUINFO's fields are editable. If this feature will be included, we need to make the bday field undeletable)

TODO:
- Improve or create a more smart algorithm for finding friend connections. Future algorithms may look into interests or commonality of two persons for finding minimum friend path. Two persons are likely to be friends if they share common interest.
- An automatic update system for the Friends Mod. Using XML-RPC, we can fetch an update file to a dedicated server and install it automatically so that the admins will not hassle themselves from downloading the patch files and then install using EasyMod

The mythical SNW mod: Where is it?
You can visit the old forum at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=209687
You can also download the original file at http://web.omnidrive.com/APIServer/publ ... ui.tar.bz2
Take note that this file is very buggy...
Original message (from niwotata):
I am not sure if the term social networking is an overstatement for this mod. I call it that anyway. I looked at so called social networking sites like Friendster, MySpace and Tribe.net which are basically forums with groups, friend list and friend search. phpbb is a great forum software, it already has groups. Now I am trying to add friend list and friend search. For other stuff like weblog, we can easily find an opensource one and integrate it.

MOD History:

Nov 27 2005 - Version 0.1.0a
- (friends.php) messages used in $result_submit_msg were transferred to lang_main.php
- (friends.php) A bug: the deletepc implementation was missing. Solved by modifying deletfc into deletec to serve both approved and pending requests.
- (includes/usercp_viewprofile.php) Friend connections are now linkable to their profiles
- Update file created. Main install file updated.

Oct 28 2005
- (templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl) Susmaryosep!!!
- A major bug was killed! Added {XUINFO_TYPE_IDS} beside {S_HIDDEN_FIELDS} to enable editing of precious extra user information (XUINFO feature is actually the major user info when friends mod is installed)

Oct 23 2005
- (includes/usercp_viewprofile.php) added some functions and workarounds to enable extensive friend linking
- Now, it is possible to see how you are connected to other people even if he is 10 degrees away in your network (friend of friend of friend of friend of friend...blah...)

Oct 20 2005
- bbcode controls were added in pages were users can invite or write comments

Oct 19 2005
- (includes/snw_add.php) a block of codes were transferred at the beginning so as to trap all the redundant/flooding invitations

Oct 18 2005
- (includes/usercp_viewprofile.php) $sql query in comments was fixed to show approved comments only
- (friends.php) added some variables and checks to put a more process specific reporting when approving, declining, and pending a friend or comment

Sept 3 2005 update:
- Bbcodes are now allowed in invites and comments

-----------------------------------------------------------
Major deviation from niwotata
The next history are of niwotata's hardship for this mod
-----------------------------------------------------------

2004/08/02 update:
I will not release any new version of this mod, because:
1. I have edited phpbb in a way that it's very difficult for me to seperate this mod out from my other codes
2. there is a fundamental flaw in the mod that related to foreign language (single language (English) board has no such problem), this mod will never make it to the mod database because of this flaw (it completely violated mod coding standard).

I will continue support for those who'v already useded the mod.

2004/07/15 - Version 0.2
- add editing usercp_viewprofile.php, usercp_register.php, profile_view_body.tpl, profile_add_body.tpl
- delete files: snw_viewprofile.php, snw_register.php, snw_profile_view_body.tpl, snw_profile_add_body.tpl

1. added a new radio button type for extra user information
2. use existing usercp_viewprofile.php and usercp_register.php and their tpl files instead of using new files.
3. some bug fixes

2004/07/11 - Version 0.1
- first beta

Integrations:
In the near future, this mod will be the integrated to the Blog mod. If you have any idea or suggestions on how you want to integrate the Friends mod to other mods, just tell it here.

License:
GNU General Public License v2

Support:
You can use this forum or PM me.

Demo:
http://www.estudyante.net

Download: Version 0.1.0a
friends010a.tar.bz2 (~34.6 Kb): http://fmod.xenozoa.com/friends010a.tar.bz2
The file is in bzip format to reduce file size. If you don't have any program to open bzip files, please go to http://www.7-zip.org

Fast Update:
From 0.1.0 to 0.1.0a

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------
#
friends.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------
#
	else if ( $mode == 'deletefc' && $is_self)
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------------
#
	// JASON'S MODIFICATION
	// DESC: This will now be deletec only to serve not only approved comments but also the pending ones
	else if ( $mode == 'deletec' && $is_self)
	// ENDJMOD
#
#
			$date_status .= $commentsdata[$j]['status']==2? '<a href="friends.php?mode=approvepc&id='. $commentsdata[$j]['id'] . '">' . $lang['Approve'] . '</a><br><a href="friends.php?mode=deletepc&id=' . $commentsdata[$j]['id'] . '">' . $lang['Delete'] . '</a><br>':'<a href="friends.php?mode=deletefc&id=' . $commentsdata[$j]['id'] . '">DELETE</a>';
#
#
			$date_status .= $commentsdata[$j]['status']==2? '<a href="friends.php?mode=approvepc&id='. $commentsdata[$j]['id'] . '">' . $lang['Approve'] . '</a><br><a href="friends.php?mode=deletec&id=' . $commentsdata[$j]['id'] . '">' . $lang['Delete'] . '</a><br>':'<a href="friends.php?mode=deletec&id=' . $commentsdata[$j]['id'] . '">' . $lang['Delete'] . '</a>';
#
#
		message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, "you have approved the comment");
#
#
		message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $lang['approved_a_comment']);
#
#
		message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, "you have deleted the comment");
#
#
		message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $lang['deleted_a_comment']);
#
#
                // JASON'S MODIFICATION
                // Desc: Instead of echoing "you have approved friends and comments",
                // we will put a more specific process reporting reflected by $result_submit_msg
                // Refer to $newpf and $newpc above and see how it is done...
                if ($approved_users)
                {
                  $result_submit_msg = '<p>You have approved the following as your friend: <b>' . str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($approved_users, 0, -1)) . '</b></p>';
                }
                if ($pending_users)
                {
                  $result_submit_msg .= '<p>You choose to decide later if you will approve the following as your friend: <b>' . str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($pending_users, 0, -1)) . '</b></p>';
                }
                if ($declined_users)
                {
                  $result_submit_msg .= '<p>You refuse to be friends with: <b>' . str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($declined_users, 0, -1)) . '</b></p>';
                }

if ($approved_comments)
                {
                  $result_submit_msg .= '<p>You have approved the comments of <b>' . str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($approved_comments, 0, -1)) . '</b></p>';
                }
                if ($pending_comments)
                {
                  $result_submit_msg .= '<p>You choose to decide later if you will approve the comments of <b>' . str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($pending_comments, 0, -1)) . '</b></p>';
                }
                if ($declined_comments)
                {
                  $result_submit_msg .= '<p>You refuse to accept the comments of <b>' . str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($declined_comments, 0, -1)) . '</b></p>';
                }
#
#
                // JASON'S MODIFICATION
                // Desc: Instead of echoing "you have approved friends and comments",
                // we will put a more specific process reporting reflected by $result_submit_msg
                // Refer to $newpf and $newpc above and see how it is done...
                if ($approved_users)
                {
                        $result_submit_msg = sprintf($lang['approved_users'], str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($approved_users, 0, -1)));
                }
                if ($pending_users)
                {
                        $result_submit_msg .= sprintf($lang['pending_users'], str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($pending_users, 0, -1)));
                }
                if ($declined_users)
                {
                        $result_submit_msg .= sprintf($lang['declined_users'], str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($declined_users, 0, -1)));
                }

if ($approved_comments)
                {
                        $result_submit_msg .= sprintf($lang['approved_comments'], str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($approved_comments, 0, -1)));
                }
                if ($pending_comments)
                {
                        $result_submit_msg .= sprintf($lang['pending_comments'], str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($pending_comments, 0, -1)));
                }
                if ($declined_comments)
                {
                        $result_submit_msg .= sprintf($lang['declined_comments'], str_replace("," , "</b>, <b>", substr($declined_comments, 0, -1)));
                }
#
#
language/lang_english/lang_main.php
#
#
// END mod snw
#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
$lang['approved_a_comment'] = 'You have approved the comment.';
$lang['deleted_a_comment'] = 'You have deleted the comment.';

$lang['approved_users'] = '<p>You have approved the following as your friend: <b>%s</b></p>';
$lang['pending_users'] = '<p>You choose to decide later if you will approve the following as your friend: <b>%s</b></p>';
$lang['declined_users'] = '<p>You refuse to be friends with: <b>%s</b></p>';

$lang['approved_comments'] = '<p>You have approved the comments of <b>%s</b></p>';
$lang['pending_comments'] = '<p>You choose to decide later if you will approve the comments of <b>%s</b></p>';
$lang['declined_comments'] = '<p>You refuse to accept the comments of <b>%s</b></p>';
#
#
includes/usercp_viewprofile.php
#
#
                               $friendlink .= ' <-> ' . $row['username'];
#
#
                               $friendlink .= ' <-> <a href="profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=' . $row['user_id'] . '">' . $row['username'] .'</a>';
#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
#
Last edited by jasonago on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 28 times in total.

kapengbarako

Post by kapengbarako » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:42 am

that's nice jason! people are waiting for that mod! for demo purposes, you can check www.estudyante.net, click on one of the members and view their profile!
phpBB Network :: Pinoy Sites :: Isulong Web Directory :: Viral Videos

Forums are made to bring people together, not to divide them - kapengbarako

DKing

Post by DKing » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:46 am

Just so a mod doesn't get at you first, I suggest you add a prefix to your post title ([DEV], [ALPHA], [BETA], [RCx]). ;)

And nice idea! :D
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search

jasonago

the beta

Post by jasonago » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:01 am

dking, its a beta version...
hehehe!!!
thanks for the advice...

jasonago

demo site

Post by jasonago » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:07 am

kapengbarako, can we setup a a test user in your site? So they can try some of its benefits...

kapengbarako

Re: demo site

Post by kapengbarako » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:40 am

jasonago wrote: kapengbarako, can we setup a a test user in your site? So they can try some of its benefits...

ok, no problem. will do that, probably monday or tuesday
phpBB Network :: Pinoy Sites :: Isulong Web Directory :: Viral Videos

Forums are made to bring people together, not to divide them - kapengbarako

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:44 am

DKing wrote: Just so a mod doesn't get at you first, I suggest you add a prefix to your post title ([DEV], [ALPHA], [BETA], [RCx]). ;)

And nice idea! :D

a prefix is not the same as a postfix, the rules specifically state a prefix, could you please change, ;)

louva-a-Deus

Post by louva-a-Deus » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:24 am

the links are broken :roll:

found it

Post by found it » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi

i have this installed on a working forum for the past 6 months...(the original mod)

I have changed alot of the code around so that one it links to your photo in your profile and not your avatar.....(photo in profile mod)

and when you do a search for people i have changed the whole template code so it list the members better and giving you more information about the member.....

I was working on ironing out bugs myself as the original author gave up on it...but i have not the time to do this.....

So I thank you for bringing the mod up todate and getting rid of the major bugs....

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Hello,

Could you please edit your topic title with a prefix as outlined in MOD Development forum rules section 3.a. This will allow people to see the development status of your MOD at a glance.

Thank you,
The phpBB MOD Team

p.s. Prefix != suffix. :wink:
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

jasonago

?

Post by jasonago » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:27 am

louva-a-Deus wrote: the links are broken :roll:

I believe it is not broken although yesterday, the original file (snwxui.tar.bz2) was not yet uploaded...

notify us again if it is still broken...

jasonago

hehe

Post by jasonago » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:29 am

I already manage to comply with rules (as far as I know...hehe)
Warn me again if I'm violating any rules...
Thanks thanks!!!

jasonago

hehe

Post by jasonago » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:32 am

found it wrote: and when you do a search for people i have changed the whole template code so it list the members better and giving you more information about the member.....

I was also thinking of doing this because the search feature and results look monotonous although it serves its purpose well...

Maybe you can share the code to us...

DKing

Post by DKing » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:27 am

I suggest you don't double, er in your case, triple post. Especially with only two minutes in between each post!

Anyways, nice mod idea! :D
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search

louva-a-Deus

Re: ?

Post by louva-a-Deus » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:06 pm

jasonago wrote: I believe it is not broken although yesterday, the original file (snwxui.tar.bz2) was not yet uploaded...

notify us again if it is still broken...

The link continues broken :roll:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”