[2.0.19] Marking posts as unread (+ js calendar).

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
100%
Very Good
No votes
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.19] Marking posts as unread (+ js calendar).

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Marking posts as unread (+ js calendar).
Author: Nux
MOD Description: It gives all users the possibility to change their last visit time. Last visit time (along with cookies) enables marking posts as unread.
That means that if someone changes that time to e.g. 18 may 2005, he will see all posts sent after that date marked as unread (if not already marked as read by his cookies).
He may also see all topics containing posts sent after that date, which is done by clicking the 'View posts since last visit' link (cookies don't play any role in this).

Please visit the topic of this MOD to get more information and for support.

This MOD was tested with EasyMOD 0.3.0 beta and should work without any problems.

MOD Version: 1.0.0

Download File: change_last_visit.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 12041 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Allows a user to specify a date that they "last visited", so that all posts since that date are marked as unread.
Nux

Post by Nux »

Wow, validated on first attempt, thanks :).

Demo Board: http://www.bookcrossing.pl/forum/modvisit.php
Demo Username: tester
Demo Password: test123

Languages: English, Polish (instrukcje i opis po polsku w pliku "translations\polish_translation.mod")
(instructions for translators below)

Screenshots: with JavaScript, without JavaScript

Notes:
Notice: changes should be done to all of your languages and templates. Changes to Polish language files may be found in 'polish_translation.mod'

Of course the changes to the templates are necessary so that users can use this MOD. So you may change it as you wish - just need to provide a link to modvisit.php.

Notice that you (as an administrator) would still be able to see when did the user last visited you're forum because the "last updated" time isn't affected at all. Further more last visited time will be updated on next log in.

Javascript tested with:
  • FireFox 1.5 - OK
  • Internet Explorer 5.5, 6.0 - OK
  • Opera 8.0 - OK
  • Mozilla 1.7.12 - OK
Problems with Javascript:
  • none :)
If you'll find any bugs, then please notify me here.

So you want to translate this MOD?
Great :D!

Just translate the quoted lines below and please notify my (you may also translate the description of the MOD)
'Change'

'Click Here to try again'

'Change settings of marking posts.'

'Set as unread from date:'

'After this your "last visited" date will be changed.
It handles marking posts as read or unread (with a little help from your cookies).'

'The date is invalid.'

'Incorrect time format! Try 13:10 or 14:57:29.'
Last edited by Nux on Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My page: DOM, Javascript, SQL - tips&scripts (mostly in Polish, sorry ;))
Nux

Post by Nux »

One more thing to explain what does this MOD do...
Nux wrote:
Swizec wrote:so uh, what about the "back" function in your average browser?

plus I never had problems with unread flags disappearing after I posted...
though I have had problems when my browser crashed and the flags went missing ^^
Well then you could change time (after the crash) and if you remembered it correctly the posts will be marked.

You'll have to understand that when you log in, your "last visited" time changes and that's how the posts are marked as unread. So any time you're page crashes, or you log in an internet cafe or in school or something and you have to bail out quickly. You can remember the time and just set it back when you'll have more time.

Besides you may want to see all of the posts from some time and after changing time you can See posts form last visit - that is from any time you want (after installing this MOD).
My page: DOM, Javascript, SQL - tips&scripts (mostly in Polish, sorry ;))
Xclavo

Re: [2.0.19] Marking posts as unread (+ js calendar).

Post by Xclavo »

This is a great idea. thank you :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”