[ABD] Forum Secretary

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

[ABD] Forum Secretary

Post by webmacster87 »

Update 5/15/2006: It's been almost 3 months now since I first made this post and I really haven't been able to commit any time to this, and now, with my list of stuff to do over summer vacation filling up quickly, I'm not sure if I'll be able to work on this over the summer. Therefore, I'm going to mark this MOD as abandoned. If anyone wants to take this over, feel free to make a new topic; you can contact me and I'll give you some of my ideas. I'm also keeping the SVN repository open for awhile; you can see the connection details below for SVN. If it turns out that I do have time to work on this and no one else has taken it over, I'll make another topic for myself.
Sorry for the bad news. The original post is available below.
--Fountain of Apples

MOD Title: Forum Secretary
MOD Description: Adds a logging actions system to phpBB which can track administrator actions and moderator actions in an ACP-based log, and actions that a user made in a log that the user (and admin) can view.
MOD Version: Still in Planning

MOD Download: Not yet
Demo/Screenshots: Not yet
Subversion Checkout:

Code: Select all

svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/foamods/forumsecretary forumsecretary
Note that the Subversion repository contains "latest-minute" changes which are definitely going to be unstable. All content in SVN is not supported. You need to have the Subversion Client installed to checkout a working copy.
----------------------------------------------
Another Log Actions MOD? Doesn't this MOD already exist?
Yes, it does. There are quite a few around, and there's a very good MOD by morpheus2matrix in the database. However, that MOD has not been updated since October 2003 and was last tested by the MOD team on phpBB 2.0.6. It's been a little while since then. ;)
Furthermore, Forum Secretary aims to be more comprehensive than morpheus2matrix's Log Actions MOD, even being more comprehensive than the log actions system in Olympus. :P
Forum Secretary allows for three seperate logs, an Administration Log (which tracks actions done in the ACP) and a Moderation Log (which tracks actions done in the MCP on the various forums by moderators), which are viewed within the ACP. In addition, a User Log can be kept. It will track everything that a user has done on the board, and can be viewed and managed both by the user and an admin. However, the user does not have absolute control, i.e. any log entry that the user deletes is simply hidden for them, the admin can still view it.
Forum Secretary also comes with EXTENSIVE configuration options, including the ability to password-protect the system (so, for example, only the main admin (the guy who installed the board) can view the logs). Individual logs can also be enabled/disabled, an automatic pruning system can be set up for logs, and each log has an independent set of controls. Users also get a set of configuration controls for themselves, although their controls do not do permanent actions and admin controls supersede them.

How is the MOD organized?
The actual Forum Secretary MOD is a backend log management system, it does not itself log anything. What it does is it provides three functions which can be used to add an entry to either of the three logs (admin, moderator, or user). These functions can be added throughout anywhere in phpBB to add a log action. Of course, Forum Secretary will add such log actions everywhere within a vanilla phpBB. However, the key detail here is that Forum Secretary is extensible to other MODs. Any other MOD can add support for Forum Secretary by simply calling one of the three functions in Forum Secretary which add log entries. And, by using PHP's function_exists() function to conditionally check for a function, the same code will work for boards with Forum Secretary installed, and boards without. Adding support in your MODs is effortless.
Forum Secretary will include 4 parts to installation (4 separate install files). Part 1 is the required part which will install the Forum Secretary backend. The majority of this will be copying included files; there are very few code edits to worry about with Part 1. The other three parts are optional, and contain all the edits for implementing admin log actions, moderator log actions, and user log actions for a vanilla phpBB. Each of these are seperate so that if you, for example, don't want to have the user log enabled, you don't have to run the part that adds the user log actions. This is important because the log actions together will span across a lot of phpBB's files, and will take a good amount of time to install if installation is occurring by hand.

What's the development schedule planned for?
Well, obviously, the bulk of the development will be spent in working on the backend; the rest is simply sorting through the phpBB files and adding function calls where necessary. This is all that's planned so far, however if you have any suggestions, please post. :)

Thanks for your interest!
--Fountain of Apples
Last edited by webmacster87 on Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kalipo

Re: [DEV] Forum Secretary

Post by Kalipo »

Fountain of Apples wrote: Thanks for your interest!

You got mine.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Awesome! Thank you!

I want a good logging Mod. I'm not using one at the moment, because theyre either beta, or old. This is gonna rock!
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

I really like the sound of this. I was planning on writting a logging section to my MOD. Looks like with this I will let the admins decide if they want logging and if so let them use this MOD.
danb00

Post by danb00 »

would love to see this mod :)
maybe something like ipb logging as well so it will log what changes admins and mods do
eg admin(bob) created forum bla
admin(bob) updated permissions on forum bla
phpBBModded.com - Modding phpBB
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

Just to give an idea of how adding a log action would work (note that this is NOT the final syntax):
For an admin log:

Code: Select all

if (function_exists('secretary_admin_log'))
{
     secretary_admin_log('foobar');
}
This would add an admin log entry for the current user at the current time with the message saved in $lang['Secretary']['foobar'] (you will need to add these lang entries). If the function doesn't exist (meaning Forum Secretary wasn't installed), nothing happens here, so there's no need for adaptations of code. :)
There will be similar functions for moderators and users, which will probably have a few other vars passed to the function, but that's basically how it will work.
vrflyer

Post by vrflyer »

Def. need some screenshots.... 8)
Always Under Construction !
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

vrflyer wrote: Def. need some screenshots.... 8)

There are no screenshots, all that exists in the code so far is an SQL schema and a few functions.
MrDSL

Post by MrDSL »

Sounds good can't wait..
ChaosBringer

Post by ChaosBringer »

been wanting this for phpBB for a long time, while some boards already have something similar ( phpbbextreme ) they did not wish to release the sourcecode to the community. If this is what i am thinking it is, it will be something like ipb's last 5 Administration actions? that would be awsome to have for phpBB.

Kudos on ur work.

01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110101 01110011 00100001
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

ChaosBringer wrote: been wanting this for phpBB for a long time, while some boards already have something similar ( phpbbextreme ) they did not wish to release the sourcecode to the community. If this is what i am thinking it is, it will be something like ipb's last 5 Administration actions? that would be awsome to have for phpBB.

Kudos on ur work.

Similar but more comprehensive. ;)
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

so is that something that does something like: administrators log actions done by moderators and others administrators .. ?

Is that a reviewed version of the morpheus' one or an improvement of it or else?

thank you :)

EDIT: sorry if you already answered or such at this but I like shortness (spelling? ).
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
rockboyteek

Post by rockboyteek »

Was thinking of a such mod last night.. and found it!.. i was thinking of making one but i am rubbish at PHP... great mod.. :D
http://www.adminfuel.com/ - Forum for Forum Administrators
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

3Di: I'm not borrowing any code from morpheus' MOD, this will be totally done from scratch.

I was hoping to have some code out this weekend, unfortunately my homework load prevented that from happening. I hope to get some feasible code out soon.
Mercuree

Post by Mercuree »

sounds really great. but the name of the mod should be more similar to "Log Actions".. maybe "Advanced" preffix? ))

anyway we're all looking forward from you to see any code/examples to be able to say smth.)
Last edited by Mercuree on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”