[04/02/07] Double Activation

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
86%
Very Good
7%
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
7%

Total votes: 14

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[04/02/07] Double Activation

Post by Extensions Robot » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:09 pm

MOD Name: Double Activation
Author: damnian
MOD Description: Adds an option for 2-step activation

MOD Version: 1.0.1 (Updated 02/04/07)
Tested on phpBB Version: 2.0.22

Download File: double_activation_1.0.1.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 2667 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:01 pm

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Use this MOD to give admin the option to make new registrants needing both self activation and admin activation.

devinliao

Post by devinliao » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:14 am

just what exactly are the 2 steps?

Like does it require email activation and admin activation?

damnian

Post by damnian » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:22 am

devinliao wrote: just what exactly are the 2 steps?

Well, there are actually 6 steps :D :
  1. A new user registers
  2. An activation e-mail is sent to the user and a "user activation required" message is displayed
  3. The user follows the activation link
  4. An activation e-mail is sent to the admin and an "admin activation required" message is displayed
  5. The admin follows the activation link
  6. An "account activated" e-mail is sent to the user and an "account activated" message is displayed.
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

devinliao

Post by devinliao » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:52 am

oh, i see. Thats really intresting.
So this mod is for boards that are really strict on user registrations.

damnian

Post by damnian » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:42 pm

devinliao wrote: So this mod is for boards that are really strict on user registrations.

Well, I'd say it's for admins that are really strict about activation emails... :D

PCTalk

Post by PCTalk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:59 am

I'm already doing exactly what this Mod purports to do. :?

The user has to register and get past the Visual confirmation. His email must work or there is an invalid email error with accompanying email sent to me. I then take a look at the users input information and decide whether or not to allow him access.

How is this different from what I do already?
Visit PCTalk.info to see my teaching website.
Wildtangent has closed their forum. See my member created substitute at Wildtangent Fansite.
Support Request Template - Knowledge Base

damnian

Post by damnian » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:36 am

PCTalk wrote: I'm already doing exactly what this Mod purports to do. :?

Too bad, you should've posted the MOD here. :wink:
PCTalk wrote: The user has to register and get past the Visual confirmation.

Nothing new so far...
PCTalk wrote: His email must work or there is an invalid email error with accompanying email sent to me.

Now, that must be a MOD. Live Email Validation maybe?
PCTalk wrote: I then take a look at the users input information and decide whether or not to allow him access.

And how do you do that? If the user is already activated, it may be too late!
PCTalk wrote: How is this different from what I do already?

Try scrolling up 4 posts for detailed description of the MOD's behavior... :wink:

It's probably a good idea to use this MOD in conjunction with Live Email Validation. However, the two MODs haven't been tested together.

PCTalk

Post by PCTalk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:45 pm

damnian wrote:
devinliao wrote:just what exactly are the 2 steps?

Well, there are actually 6 steps :D :
  1. A new user registers
  2. An activation e-mail is sent to the user and a "user activation required" message is displayed
  3. The user follows the activation link
  4. An activation e-mail is sent to the admin and an "admin activation required" message is displayed
  5. The admin follows the activation link
  6. An "account activated" e-mail is sent to the user and an "account activated" message is displayed.

I do not have any Mods for this installed, I'm just using what comes native with 2.0.19.

I get an email telling me that a new user has registered and needs to be activated. Instead of clicking on the activation link, however, I close the email, go to my forum, go into the ACP, and take a look at the new user.

There are several telltale things I look for that indicates a spammer. The biggest one is that I don't advertise and I personally know probably 98% of those who register to join the forum. If I have any doubts at all, I change the email extension from .com, .net, .ru, or whatever to .spammer. I don't think they will be able to use that to recover their password using that.

I also change their password, strip out any contact information such as website, ICQ number, etc, give them a Rank Title of Spammer, remove all posting priviledges, and never bother to activate them.

I would love to just delete them but I have had some idiots re-register almost immediately using the same username!

I will soon be adding a medium long registration form that must be filled out before they will be considered for membership. I'm sure there will still be some who try to join but I will have that much more information to use to deny them access.

Am I paranoid? Yes. Do I care what anyone else thinks? No. I use my site and forum mainly for teaching purposes and have no desire to allow any wolves in among my sheep. :evil:
Visit PCTalk.info to see my teaching website.
Wildtangent has closed their forum. See my member created substitute at Wildtangent Fansite.
Support Request Template - Knowledge Base

Konundrum

Post by Konundrum » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:44 pm

I've installed this MOD, and everything functions well... except one thing... It's doesn't require an Admin to activate the user. It does all the acct. activation stuff..but as soon as the user clicks the link in the email the acct. is activated.

From what I understood in reading the description... I thought the user would need to wait until an admin approved the users acct. Am I incorrect??

Thanks in advance,

Kon

Konundrum

Post by Konundrum » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:49 pm

Disregard.

In the future, if anyone else thinks it's not working... try actually enabling it in the ACP. :oops: :lol:

Good MOD.

Kon

midkemia

Post by midkemia » Fri May 12, 2006 1:42 am

Great mod works well. Installed using Easymod without problems on a board using CH 2.1.4c and various other mods.

To improve the mod would it be possible to add an extra field to the database so that it logs the users activation?

The reason i ask is that if there is a problem and the activation email doesn't reach an admin the user may sit in limbo. Interigation of the database field would at least provide a clue.

I also have on my board the "Users List" mod to which it would be easy to add an extra column to see the status

TIA

Tapio

Double Activation, compatibility with 2.0.20

Post by Tapio » Fri May 26, 2006 11:35 am

Hi,

I upgraded my list to version 2.0.20 and found that the double activation (BOTH -method) works now in practise as NONE (autoactivation). Can anyone else confirm this feature with 2.0.20 installed, or is it just me who has messed up the code. Thanks in advance.

Regards
/Tapio

(PS: my first posting did a new topic, although I wanted it to be here, my apologies)

cafl

Getting error with Double Activation MOD

Post by cafl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:27 pm

I tried to put in the Double Activation mod and got the following error:

Could not update users table

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'user_active = 1, user_actkey = '' WHERE user_id = 695' at l

Line : 100
File : usercp_activate.php

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
-----------------
www.craftandfabriclinks.com

go99live

Post by go99live » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:10 pm

edit

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”