Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 50

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Smartfeed

Post by Extensions Robot » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:34 pm

Modification name: Smartfeed
Author: MarkDHamill
Modification description: Provides RSS 0.91, RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 customized newsfeeds. Users select forums they want using a web page. If registered with the board, users can get feeds for protected forums if they have appropriate phpBB permissions. Public forums can be selected without registration. Sophisticated logic keeps the public from receiving feeds from protected forums via URL cracking.
Modification version: 1.21
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: smartfeed_1.21.zip
File size: 39251 Bytes

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. category
    1. Syndication
  2. phpbb
    1. 2.0.19
    2. 2.0.22
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:21 pm

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Give your forum the ability to provide RSS feed to your users.

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Looks like the best i've seen until now! Can you also have a feed just for 1 forum?

EDIT: This is so awesome! See a Demo here: http://www.ut4e.com/evil/forum/smartfeed_url.php

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:19 pm

Sure, just check the one forum for which you want a feed, then generate the URL. (First, uncheck the "All Subscribed Forums".)

I'm glad this mod is finally approved. I know the mod checkers are busy, but with RSS all the range a smart RSS/Atom newsfeed mod for phpBB should meet a lot of needs, particularly for those who need to carefully expose protected forums.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:28 pm

Oh, and you have a problem. For some reason you need to comment out your free_result estatements. I don't know why this happens to some people, but I think it is related to MySQL 4.1 and integration with DBAL.

Rebell

Post by Rebell » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:49 am

Hello,

well i see your mod made it ! Congratulations !

cya 8)
OLDSKOOLDEMOMAKER FORUMS : http://kickme.to/osdm
make demos like in the good old days on amiga or c64 without programming knowledge !

EpicFlupe

Post by EpicFlupe » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:33 am

What about multi-language boards?

Can I make this page appear in Swedish or English depending on the user selected board language?

Or shoul I just copy the "smartfeed_url.php" and let the users access the page through two different URL:s, one in Swedish and one in English?

bobcaticus

Re: [2.0.19] Smartfeed

Post by bobcaticus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:59 am

MOD Database Manager wrote: Classification: 56 Syndication

MOD Name: Smartfeed
MOD Description: Provides RSS 0.91, RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 customized newsfeeds. Users select forums they want using a web page. If registered with the board, users can get feeds for protected forums if they have appropriate phpBB permissions. Public forums can be selected without registration. Sophisticated logic keeps the public from receiving feeds from protected forums via URL cracking.

MOD Version: 1.0.4
Installation Level: Easy
Installation Time: ~ 5 Minutes

Download File: smartfeed_1.0.4a.zip
File Size: 39251 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.

thanks for the Mod.. i'm new at this RSS stuff. I have the current version and installed all the files into the correct directories, however when i click on the live link i made in firefox i get this message header:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<!--
generator="SmartFeed phpBB Modification (email removed)"
-->

<rdf:RDF>

<channel rdf:about="http://www.sleestak.net/forum/smartfeed.php">
<title>Sleestak.net</title>

any ideas?
"oh a sarcasm detector... that's a real useful invention!"

wolfman24

Post by wolfman24 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:23 am

For Firefox you need a rss reader plugin, like Sage or NewsFox, otherwise the plain xml is shown. Or just use another news reader.

wolfman

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:02 am

wolfman24 wrote: For Firefox you need a rss reader plugin, like Sage or NewsFox, otherwise the plain xml is shown. Or just use another news reader.

wolfman

Wrong! Already heard about Live bookmarks? :)

moodgard

Re: [2.0.19] Smartfeed

Post by moodgard » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:59 pm

MOD Database Manager wrote: Classification: 56 Syndication

MOD Name: Smartfeed
MOD Description: Provides RSS 0.91, RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 customized newsfeeds. Users select forums they want using a web page. If registered with the board, users can get feeds for protected forums if they have appropriate phpBB permissions. Public forums can be selected without registration. Sophisticated logic keeps the public from receiving feeds from protected forums via URL cracking.

MOD Version: 1.0.4
Installation Level: Easy
Installation Time: ~ 5 Minutes

Download File: smartfeed_1.0.4a.zip
File Size: 39251 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.

Great mod, thank you.

I had some problems, I was able to clear up everything except one item. I have only protected forums, and I brought this into MyYahoo, selecting all forums. (Yahoo worked only with RSS 0.91).

The problem left: It displays only one topic on MyYahoo page, even when there are several new topics. I've tried switching various options on your mod settings, but can't seem to resolve this.

janesjo

Post by janesjo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi

According to the log:
"2006-03-01 - Version 1.0.2
## - Changed one line of SQL in smartfeed.php which might cause a problem for those not using MySQL"

My problem is that i wanna make this mod work correctly with MSSQL. Under MSSQL u can't get access to private forums. Can u please give me some pointers?

Great mod btw :-)

/Cheers

saaiberke

Post by saaiberke » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:05 pm

Little problem in feedDemon-Newsgator, when you subscribe to the rss 2.0 feed it doesn't have an automatic name, you have to add the name manually. This is not a problem in feedDemon itself (you can fill out a name yourself) but when you sync the feed with newsgator, the feed dissapears from feedDemon. In the list of feeds in Newsgator the feed has no name which is why it is not visible in feedDemon. The feed seems to be hidden, not deleted.

EDIT: My fault, I translated a thing too much and this caused the missing feed name. Sorry.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:17 pm

EpicFlupe wrote: What about multi-language boards?

Can I make this page appear in Swedish or English depending on the user selected board language?

Or shoul I just copy the "smartfeed_url.php" and let the users access the page through two different URL:s, one in Swedish and one in English?

Sure, it is language independent. Unfortunately, someone needs to write translations for languages other than English. If you do one send it to me and I will include it in future versions of the software.

Simply edit lang_smartfeed.php to the language of your choice, then store it under the appropriate folder, such as /language/lang_german.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:20 pm

eviL<3 wrote:
wolfman24 wrote:For Firefox you need a rss reader plugin, like Sage or NewsFox, otherwise the plain xml is shown. Or just use another news reader.

wolfman

Wrong! Already heard about Live bookmarks? :)

Well, actually a live bookmark checks to see if there are new articles, then tries to take you to a web page where the content exists. I haven't tried that with this mod, but I would think if it were a RSS feed then Firefox would know the applicable HTML post URL and go to that.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”