[RC2] Anti Bot Question

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
MagMo

[RC2] Anti Bot Question

Post by MagMo »

MOD Title:
Anti Bot Question MOD

MOD Description:
This MOD adds a question to the registration and/or guest post forms to prevent bots from spamming the board. This question must be answered correctly to complete the registration or post successfully. If you use this MOD, you can disable the standard-captcha. You can create your own individual questions or you use automatically created questions.
The mod is administrated via the ACP.

This MOD is compatible with the "Select Default Language Mod". Different questions can be defined for each language.
If you use the "Advanced Quick Reply MOD", you need the Advanced Quick Reply Add-On.

language files:
english, german, german_formal, french, spanish

MOD Version:

MOD Download:
http://phpbb.mwegner.de/anti-bot-question-mod/
Last edited by MagMo on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 17 times in total.
alvo

Post by alvo »

I installed this mod a few weeks ago, replacing the captcha that comes with phpBB and my spam postings and registrations went from several a day to a grand total of zero since. As long as you create you own unique questions if should be extremely effective against spam bots. My one suggestion when writing questions is not to have any of the answers be "yes" or "no" as spammers may just program in a default answer and on the occassional match be able to post. Those two words are probably the most likely answers one would find overall.

Many thanks for developing and sharing the code. It's highly recommended.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Hi, please update your topic title as per this forum's rules, thanks.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=266307
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
talksina

Post by talksina »

I have installed it
Now, I have another logic puzzle mod there, not based on MySQL but on Ini files, but my one is worse, questions and answers must be edited by hand, but yours is more and more sophisticated and I love it, but the problem is that in my community it does not work
I mean, I have visual confirmation (and my logic puzzle mod installed of course) on, next to the visual box
but the anti-bot question does not appear
As I am totally blind, I find that questions related to images (for example "how many blue lines are there in the image?") are completely useless...
I know there are ways to edit and delete questions, this is what I am going to do for my site
but...
is there a possibility to add, to image tag, the longdesc?
For example...
if the question concerns an image, the tag that appears is: img src... border, width, height ... longdesc="URL", where URL is the path to longdesc file
that is, a txt or html file created explaining the image.
And the longdesc can be written into an edit box via admin panel
and through the file managing PHP functions it creates txt files in the appropriate directory.
And...
could it be that a sound-based question must be created?
that is,
- put an option in the question configuration which allows to set a sound
Hope you understand me
the question could be, "how many times does the bell ring? Click on the link to hear the sound"
and, as there is the new IE update that does not allow to hear sounds in background, the sound is a downloadable .wav or .mp3 file
is it possible?
Unfortunately I have not the capability to code it
I'd like the author of this mod, to contact me
thanks a bunch
magicant

Post by magicant »

Could someone please possibly help me to install this modification... and any mods I might need to combat this spam problem...

I'm really not that good with php and afraid of damaging my system.

Also I'm not sure if I would require to update my phpbb or not... but again I wouldn't have a clue how to do this.

I will gladly pay someone to maybe update my phpbb and get this spam thing sorted. My site is www.magicworld.co.uk and www.magicworldonline.com (exactly the same system just different boards)

Thanks a lot
All the best
Anthony
www.magicworld.co.uk
talksina

Post by talksina »

hi, anthony you should try with EasyMod...

for MagMo:
you can publish the longdesc add-on URL here, so others can get it and test it, too
I did not publish it from the PM you sent me, because I wanted to test it first, but as it works, you could publish the direct URL
otherwise I upload it on my site and do it by myself
thanks a lot
rkalexander1

installing anti bot question

Post by rkalexander1 »

Does anyone know where I can find the documentation on how to install this Anti Bot Question Mod? The link provided in this thread takes you to a Dutch site. Well I don't read Dutch, so English anyone?
talksina

Post by talksina »

It's german language... well, the PHPBB anti-bot question is downloadable from www.phpbbhacks.com
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/6697
rkalexander1

Post by rkalexander1 »

So is there no install guide for this mod?
talksina

Post by talksina »

It is in the zip file you download from that site (click on DOWNLOAD)
It's bi-lingual, there is english and german
MagMo

Re: installing anti bot question

Post by MagMo »

Hi,
talksina wrote: I did not publish it from the PM you sent me, because I wanted to test it first, but as it works, you could publish the direct URL
otherwise I upload it on my site and do it by myself
thanks a lot
Download: IMG longdesc Addon (click on the green lamp or filename to download the addon)
rkalexander1 wrote: Does anyone know where I can find the documentation on how to install this Anti Bot Question Mod? The link provided in this thread takes you to a Dutch site. Well I don't read Dutch, so English anyone?
8O Arrg, it is not Dutch :? , it is a german website. :)
Click on the green lamp or on the filename to download the mod: http://phpbb.mwegner.de/dl_details.php? ... id=9&cat=1
talksina wrote: It's german language... well, the PHPBB anti-bot question is downloadable from www.phpbbhacks.com
That is version 1.0.1, the latest version is 1.0.2. Download link: see above
rkalexander1 wrote: So is there no install guide for this mod?
The install guide is the file anti-bot-question_v_1_0_2.txt! This txt-file is part of the download-zip-file. The install guide is using the correct MOD Template Syntax (KB: The MOD Template, These guide tells you what each action in the MOD Template means, helping you install MODs).

Greetings
MagMo
talksina

Post by talksina »

oh gosh
i have installed the phpbbhacks one...
so I should re-install it from the beginning, or are there some code changes?
:?
MagMo

Post by MagMo »

Hi,
talksina wrote: oh gosh
i have installed the phpbbhacks one...
so I should re-install it from the beginning, or are there some code changes?
:?
Don't worry. :wink: Download the latest version and unzip the download file. Open the folder 'update'. There you find all code changes.
MagMo wrote:
talksina wrote:It's german language... well, the PHPBB anti-bot question is downloadable from www.phpbbhacks.com
That is version 1.0.1, the latest version is 1.0.2. Download link: see above
I submitted the latest version to phpbbHacks.com. I think it will be updated soon.

Greetings
MagMo

/EDIT
Now the phpbbHacks.com-download file is up to date.
silveria

Post by silveria »

Am I the only one having problem making it run. I have installed the 1.0.2 version following the instructions and then went into the Administration panel and enabled it as shown on the image http://s-chair.net/public/AB1.jpg and when I try to register I cannot see the question http://s-chair.net/public/ab2.jpg
Any suggestions?
Silverchair Fan? www.s-chair.net
talksina

Post by talksina »

Hi, be careful... I maybe made the same mistake...
try to disable the visual confirmation
then, check "no" on the "visual confirmation is (also) enabled" button in the anti-bot question configuration panel

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”