Posts by not yet trusted require admin or moderator approval

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean » Mon May 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Despite our best efforts to hold off spammers, some will find a way to post in our forums. Sometimes posts by spammers are are a just a bother and sometimes they can be quite upsetting to our community members.

It seems like, in the end, we need a way for trusted community members to be able to easily and quickly post and a way for the posts by new "provisional" members to be first screened by admins or moderators before the posts are made public.

We need to have this final review process for provisional members because some spammers will make it past our image verification of registrations, user / email activation, memberlists that no longer list members without posts and now currently we have a daily task to whack the spam our of our posts before the forum participants are offended. New posts can be especially embarrasing when RSS feeds are created.

If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it - for now, I think we desperately need the ability to approve the posts of provisional members.
Building Internet Communities
www.ColoradoHealth.info

CommunityGamer
Location: Sitting around a gaming table with friends... Or around a computer wishing I was.

Post by CommunityGamer » Mon May 22, 2006 7:59 pm

I'd like to add to your request, Dave.. :)

The Major problem I and many others have had isn't users 'posting' spam... it's just spam registrations...

Registrations with no posts for no other reason than to gain a link to their site that google,etc would use to increase their site ranking.

What I suggested to stop this would fit well with your request.

When someone first registers, only limited information is displayed in the member list. (no website address especially) until they gain a 'trusted' ranking.. either through number of posts, or admin/mod granting.

For instance... my previous post..
Either:
- Until Admin activated, or:
- Until (X) posts have been made:

the users website, avatar, IM, Signature, etc. will not be shown, in their profile, member list, or anywhere else....

The Admin chooses the number for (X).

to personalize further, the admin should have checkboxes to determine what will not be shown or allowed until X post.

Just add into this:
- Until either X approved posts have been made, Or:
- An Admin or Mod has cleared the user out of probation:

posts are held in pending status, and will not be posted until approved by a mod.

And we have my request and yours nicely together in one package.
CommunityGamer/AKA Daedreem :: Life isn't all just fun and games... ..But it should be!!!

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Mon May 22, 2006 8:00 pm

perhaps a re mod of the approve posts mods?
http://david.smigit.com/mdd/?keyword=app+post

Rfn
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean » Mon May 22, 2006 8:19 pm

The Major problem I and many others have had isn't users 'posting' spam... it's just spam registrations...

Registrations with no posts for no other reason than to gain a link to their site that google,etc would use to increase their site ranking.
You have more patience than I have. I did not want to deal with the memberlist spam so made the easy change to not list members with 0 posts in the memberlist or the newestmember.

Now the spammers are posting, so I need a mod to have admin or moderator approval for non-trusted members.
www.ColoradoHealth.info

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Tue May 23, 2006 8:21 am

I think I can re-mod the mod I mentioned above.

Lets say a user has X trusted posts ( ACP option ), he/she will never have to wait untill the next approval ??

Rfn

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]

Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean » Tue May 23, 2006 4:02 pm

Lets say a user has X trusted posts ( ACP option ), he/she will never have to wait untill the next approval ??
Anything would help and we can deal with the exceptions.
www.ColoradoHealth.info

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Tue May 23, 2006 4:07 pm

Dave Bean wrote:

Anything would help and we can deal with the exceptions.

if you wait till tonight I'll post my code that checks every field ( registation, editprofile, subject, message ) for forbidden words.

Rfn

Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean » Tue May 23, 2006 5:41 pm

I hadn't thought about checking the entire post for forbidden words. Perhaps this could also generate an admin / moderator approval - or optionally just whack it.

Very similar to email filters. - white lists, black lists, grey lists
www.ColoradoHealth.info

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 am

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 09#2148409

For more info check the topic above!

Rfn

SEvener226

Post by SEvener226 » Thu May 25, 2006 4:34 pm

I'd like to add on to this mod request. I need the ability to be able to set a forum for pre-approved posts.

It's not because of spam.

I run an official website for an actor and would like to have a Question and Answer forum but I need the ability to pre-approve the questions before they post in the forum. I want to be able to allow a variety of questions to be posted for the actor to answer in addition to prevent the obvious "haters" posting. I monitor the board regular but can't always.

A pre-approve mod for specific forums would be great for me.

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Thu May 25, 2006 5:23 pm

SEvener226 wrote: I'd like to add on to this mod request. I need the ability to be able to set a forum for pre-approved posts.

I run an official website for an actor and would like to have a Question and Answer forum but I need the ability to pre-approve the questions before they post in the forum. I want to be able to allow a variety of questions to be posted for the actor to answer in addition to prevent the obvious "haters" posting. I monitor the board regular but can't always.

The Approve Mod can set specific forums to be approved. In case you are wondering, it does work on phpBB 2.0.20.
Have you hugged someone today?

SEvener226

Post by SEvener226 » Sun May 28, 2006 5:01 pm

D¡cky wrote:
SEvener226 wrote:I'd like to add on to this mod request. I need the ability to be able to set a forum for pre-approved posts.

The Approve Mod can set specific forums to be approved. In case you are wondering, it does work on phpBB 2.0.20.

Thanks. I'll try it.

Zucye

You got my support

Post by Zucye » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:46 pm

I am with you guys. I would love to have a feature like that in my board. I use to only need to check my board once a week, now I have to do it several times a day. Aproval of the post for new member would be an excellent idea
Image~ Zucye~
El beso es una sed loca que no se apaga con beber, se apaga con otra boca que tenga la misma sed.
Tu-Refugio.com~*~EspecialmenteParaTi.com
eSerenatas.com~*~PeterBustamante.com

Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:23 pm

I am with you guys. I would love to have a feature like that in my board. I use to only need to check my board once a week, now I have to do it several times a day. Aproval of the post for new member would be an excellent idea
There are a few mods that are in this direction, but they seemed fairly complicated. I wonder if version 3 will handle this?

I've been wondering how the designation could be accomplished. Seems like we either need another field in the user table, or perhaps we can use the user_level field. The user table is probably fairly easy.

The hard part is how to hold or filter out the posts. If we use a field in the posts table, then we have to filter it out with every type of query. I was wondering about instead, creating a field in the posts table for the intended forum and then place the post in some type of non-public restricted forum until moved to public. Or perhaps a separate table to hold the pending post. Sure wish this was part of the standard phpBB rather than a mod.

If version 3 will have this capability, then maybe we could "tread water" and get buy with the "admin notify" mod (I have this in place now) - not the best, since still after the fact notification rather than admin flag as public function.

I'm sure others will have better ideas about how to implement trusted vs non-trusted.
www.ColoradoHealth.info

RATT

Post by RATT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:57 pm

SEvener226 wrote: The Approve Mod can set specific forums to be approved. In case you are wondering, it does work on phpBB 2.0.20.

Which is also a dev mod and not reccommended to be used on a live board ;)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”