Question

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
dude111

Question

Post by dude111 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:59 am

Im running Win98se using IE6 and i cannot browse ANY PHPBB SITES AT ALL if im logged in (The site just doesnt move when i click a thread title) If i log out of my account,everything works fine........

This is the only s.w i have a problem with......Perhaps you guys have an error in your script or whatever.....Every phpBB site im on i have these same issues (I cannot view threads when logged in,it freezes up,i have to keep closing my browser and re-opening it to move thru)

This is GOOD software guys,but your script doesnt work right with EVERY PLATFORM/BROWSER.....

:)

Noobarmy

Re: Question

Post by Noobarmy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:36 am

dude111 wrote: Im running Win98se using IE6 and i cannot browse ANY PHPBB SITES AT ALL if im logged in (The site just doesnt move when i click a thread title) If i log out of my account,everything works fine........

This is the only s.w i have a problem with......Perhaps you guys have an error in your script or whatever.....Every phpBB site im on i have these same issues (I cannot view threads when logged in,it freezes up,i have to keep closing my browser and re-opening it to move thru)

This is GOOD software guys,but your script doesnt work right with EVERY PLATFORM/BROWSER.....

right well Windows 98 Second Edition is very old ... internet itself(mainly broadband though) hardly ever works.

s.w means....?

its an inteeresting comment. never tried using a forum in anything other then XP. i'm sure some of the expereinced guys can explain why it doesn't work for you and probably how to fix it :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Question

Post by KevC » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:46 am

Noobarmy wrote: s.w means....?

Software
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:02 pm

Im running Win98se using IE6 and i cannot browse ANY PHPBB SITES AT ALL

If you can't browse any phpBB powered forums, how are you posting here? ;)

Internet Explorer does not generate the pages/topics. This is done on the server and sent to your browser as HTML.
However, there could be problems if GZIP is enabled (GZIP is used to make the HTML files smaller so it downloads faster to your computer). If you're using an older version of Internet Explorer, then the browser may not be able to understand or properly request the pages. It's not a fault on phpBB's end or the server end, but a result of the browser itself.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:32 pm

I started out using Win98SE and IE 6 when I first started my board; never had any problems at all with it. Internet worked just as well as on XP (which I have now), except for a persistent modem problem.

I doubt it is GZIP causing a problem, though, if you can browse this site successfully, as according to this, phpBB.com uses compression.

Then again, you could be posting from a computer not your own... In which case, I don't know what to tell ya. If it is a GZIP problem, though, it should be creeping up elsewhere, and you shouldn't even be able to browse as a guest, let alone as a logged in user.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:45 pm

Hello.

A few things to try: are cookies enabled? Did you clear your cookies and cache and restart your computer? Does that help? Also, you might want to try a better browser and see if it's just IE acting up.

Thread Moved to Support
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

dude111

Post by dude111 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:44 am

Nephrus wrote:
Im running Win98se using IE6 and i cannot browse ANY PHPBB SITES AT ALL

If you can't browse any phpBB powered forums, how are you posting here? ;)
I have to keep opening and closing my browser..... (Copy/pasting the links)

Its strangfe cause every other S/W works well....... It must be a compression issue as one of the mods have said...(Maybe other stuff doesnt use compression ?!?!?!?)

I dunno.....Would like to figure out exactly why its doing this.......I wish i could show you guys (The staff) exactly whats happening...... Like when i click SUBMIT,ill have to click it 2 times or it doesnt move...... (And clicking any thread on a base results in no movement)

If i logout IT WORKS FINE....... It sounds like something in the cookie handling........

98se is a great OS,but finding out why this is happening is proving hard....... (I tried over @ www.phpbb2.de and the same thing happens (Thought that MIGHT be a different script (phpbb2))

I dunno......

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:07 am

Internet Explorer is a much more than capable browser (the link that says "a better browser" leads to Firefox and is thus misleading). And Windows 98 is also quite good.. I have been able to use both to browse phpbb forums for years (though now I use Windows 2000). So I do not think either of those is your problem, unless you have them way way way out of date.

The problem could be something you have installed on your computer like a firewall, or the problem could be your ISP.. Perhaps even a router or proxy...

dude111

Post by dude111 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:14 am

I just discovered it is NOT because GZIP is enabled.......

THIS SITE has gzip enabled (Not phpBB) and i luckily can run fine on there (Logged in or otherwise)

Its gotta be something else (Script,etc......)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:37 am

dude111 wrote: I just discovered it is NOT because GZIP is enabled.......

THIS SITE has gzip enabled (Not phpBB) and i luckily can run fine on there (Logged in or otherwise)

Its gotta be something else (Script,etc......)

this whole topic is funny.

anyway,

it is not anything to do with win98 or with phpbb.

I used w98se up until a couple of months ago. I personally can't stand IE, however, I would frequently use it to check why a web page wouldn't work in NS or FF . ( usually because it is written by a MS product ).

I have never , ever had a problem with phpbb not working in IE or any other browser.

so, the problem is most likely your cookies and/or your security settings.

If you are behind a firewall of some kind, it could be that. If you are not, then make sure that your IE settings allow all cookies and that the security settings are at medium if not at low.

Then , delete all the browser cookies, then delete all temporary internet files.

then log out of any phpbb boards you may be logged into, then close the browser completely, and go back and test.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

dude111

Post by dude111 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:26 am

Well what i cant understand is:

When i logout,it works fine!!!!! I can view threads,etc....... Move thruout phpBB sitges,etc... When i login to my account,thats when the problems start!!!!!

I have notihng blocking anything.....This is the only script i have issues with (phpBB) -- It looks like good s/w,im just trying to address these issues to the staff so MAYBE a future relase will have corected the issues......

I hope no one is angry w/me...Im just trying to help :)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:50 am

dude111 wrote: Well what i cant understand is:

When i logout,it works fine!!!!! I can view threads,etc....... Move thruout phpBB sitges,etc... When i login to my account,thats when the problems start!!!!!

I have notihng blocking anything.....This is the only script i have issues with (phpBB) -- It looks like good s/w,im just trying to address these issues to the staff so MAYBE a future relase will have corected the issues......

I hope no one is angry w/me...Im just trying to help :)

nobody is angry with you, but you aren't listening. there is nothing wrong with phpbb to need addressing in a future release.
don't you think it would be a wide spread problem considering that phpbb is used my hundreds of thousands of people around the world?

the problem is going to be how your computer is handling the cookies for the site.

if you have an old cookie from the site , then it may not know who you are when you are logged in, etc.

try what I suggested and see what happens.

robert

dude111

Post by dude111 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:29 am

I dont have any cookies saved Robert,i clear my cookies everytime i end my se$$ion..........

Ah well,i hope the satff will l00k @ that other site i posted and make the script act the same way on future phpBB sites (Theres some good sites on phpBB i'd like to be a part of and all on a regular basis)

I wish i knew something about coding,i would re-write the script and present it to the staff for consideration :)

Take care

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:31 am

I give up, are you reading? there is no problem with phpbb . this is a problem with your setup somehow, not with phpbb, there is nothing that the staff or anyone else needs to look at.

luck,
robert

dude111

Post by dude111 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:09 am

Then why is phpBB the only s/w i have these issues with???

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”