attachment mod vs quick reply mod

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
dealo

attachment mod vs quick reply mod

Post by dealo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:33 am

Im a little confused on two points at this stage

1. Why is the attachment mod standard with the package. I have several boards and are members at many others and its rare to see that mod on them.

2. Why the quick reply mod isnt standard. Most phpbb sites use this feature and it seemed like a obvious choice for part of the program.

I personally would like to see the quick reply in the program instead of the attachment. But that is a personal opionion. At least both of them.

Interested to see what others think

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:41 am

the quick reply mod will never be a feature of phpbb as these are message boards not chat room :) and the quick reply gives the forum a chat feel. I dare say it will quickly appear as a mod. The attachment mod is one of the single most popular mods so i can see why is has been added as a feature especially as it does not detract from the message board feel, like the quick reply would!

dealo

Post by dealo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:48 am

i have to disagree with you on that. (i understand that means nothing to you guys but i'll say it anyway)

not everyone has lightning fast interent and when the take the time to go into a read a topic, it gives them the option to just simply replying without have to load a new page. I dont think it changes the feel of the message board as it just makes it easier to use. For me a chat room is live scrolling data, which this format could never be whether there is a ability to post faster or not.

But this is just my opinion though, you are part of the group so your say counts more than mine. I just use it.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:51 am

actually what i say has no bearing what so ever on what the devs do :) i actually use the quick reply mod, i just gave you the asnwer they gave for not including it.

Patricia.1970

Post by Patricia.1970 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:05 am

attachement can be disabled in admin. easy.

and as karlsemple said, for sure a "quick reply" mod will be released in the following weeks after final Olympus release.

maybe even one of the modder who made one of the Quick Reply mod for 2.0.x will adapt (re-do) his mod...

see here for 2.0.x list of quick reply mods and their authors
Patricia

James78

Post by James78 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:13 am

I think it would be a great addition to phpbb to have a quick reply system to come standard with the software. If the admin doesn't want to use it, or wants to turn it off for certain people or groups or for the entire board, then that coud also be a feature (to be able to turn it off). phpbb should also have a board feature where you can type in a text box the location of a favicon (relative to the phpbb files/folders) for display everywhere on the forum to all users (if their browser supports favicons of coarse).

Dr.Death
QA Team

Post by Dr.Death » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:20 am

Thats all feature requests.... nothing to do with the beta support.
Doc.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:22 am

dr.death wrote: Thats all feature requests.... nothing to do with the beta support.

Indeed.

Feature requests will eventually be opened for 3.2 (or 3.4) sometime after the release of 3.0. But let me say that this has been requested in the past through 3.0, and will be requested again. The chance of it being added is slim to none. ;)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:31 am

Graham wrote: *sigh*

This topic has come up before and the answer will not change no matter how much you keep pushing it. Quick reply will not be in 3.0 full stop and is highly unlikely to be in 3.2 either. We (the team leaders and developers) do not think it is an appropriate feature for the software to have and as Jon has already noted the vast majority of users do not want it either.

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... y&start=20 At the bottum of the page

dealo

Post by dealo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am

the vast majority of users do not want it either

im not sure how true that is? 8)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:17 am

karlsemple wrote: the quick reply mod will never be a feature of phpbb as these are message boards not chat rooms

Seems a bit odd then that it includes jabber. A kind of instant messaging chat room app. :?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Headgalah

Post by Headgalah » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:19 am

karlsemple wrote: the quick reply mod will never be a feature of phpbb as these are message boards not chat room :) and the quick reply gives the forum a chat feel. I dare say it will quickly appear as a mod. The attachment mod is one of the single most popular mods so i can see why is has been added as a feature especially as it does not detract from the message board feel, like the quick reply would!

if that is the reason the developers gave you for not using the QR mod then that shows just how out of touch with phpbb user's they are and explains why this beta release is not directed at the end user but at developers in general.

It is not a community based release it is a Administrators/Developers release and will never be accepted by the community users as a forum of cohoice.

I can see membership to a lot of forums dwindling because of the so called features in phpbb3 if it is released and used in it's present form.

I have no doubts that my members will not take to it and I will of course remain true to phpbb2 with the mods that I have installed as the board of choice and I also have no doubts that this will be the case world wide.

As for the attachment mod I have downloaded and installed it on many boards only to uninstall it and of course the number of downloads shown against, does not go down when it is uninstalled so I bet less than 10% of the downloads of it are actually in use anywhere.

I visit hundreds of boards, all phpbb and all through links from mods/hacks and/or showcasing boards and very rarely do I see one with the attachment mod.

I bet the developers would have to look far a wide to find it as well so to say it is one of the most popular, is in my opinion, a long way off the mark.

Headgalah

Post by Headgalah » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:22 am

I got a bit off topic there too as my main train of thought at the time was more in relation to the quick reply mod.

90% of boards that I visit have at least one of the versions available installed and it is one of the first thing members (not admins0 ask for.

To suggest it is like a chatroom is way off the mark and obviously the developers have not taken any notice of what is available in QR mods.

It is simply the post topic page being included on the view topic page.

How simple is that ???

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:29 am

No, we are not going to discuss this again. We discussed this for 2 years over on area51, we won't start here. ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”