[ABD] The Logger (MMW) [Beta3 Released!]

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

[ABD] The Logger (MMW) [Beta3 Released!]

Post by igorw »

MOD Title: The Logger
MOD Description: This MOD will log all actions (configurable), and allow the Admins to view them. IP address, Userid, Action type, Action details, action time... ect will be logged.
MOD Version: 0.3.2 (Beta 3)

MOD Download: Download 0.3.2 (Beta3)

The Idea: This will be a bit like Log Actions MOD, but a little more advanced. Probably more like Olympus. I'll have a look at the codecrush log, and see if that's any good.

Planned features:
  • Three Logs (+Error log):
    • Users Log
      (Login, New topic, Logout, create PM, edit profile, register)
    • Moderators Log
      (view modcp, delete, move, lock, unlock, sticky, announce, normalize, edit, delete, ip lookup, add/remove user to group)
    • Admin Log
      (ACP Login, change forums/forum permissions, prune forums, edit config, send out email, backup db, add/edit smilies, add/edit word censors, edit/create groups, ban user, disallow usernames, edit user/permissions, edit/add ranks)
    • Error Log
      This will be a simple addition to message_die(), and will make it easier for admins to track down Board problems / Errors
  • Lots of data is logged
    • Time Image
    • IP Adress Image
    • Username/ID Image
    • IP Adress Image
    • Search for any fields / Filters
    • Sort by any fields
    • Quick Management/Options
    • Logged Actions are Configurable in the ACP Image
    • Only Admins can view Logs Image
Info:
Brainy has also been working on a logging mod, called the "logging mod". At first i was too busy to work on my project, and he had some code done. Well now it's more or less the other way round, and he is too busy to work on it. We decided to join and work on it together, and he said it's okay if i use this topic (instead of his).
I've been coding very much in the last few weeks, so large parts of the MOD were rewritten. The logging function is nearly done, and the config part too. Now i have to write the "view logs" page, and the base is done. There will also be some docs and stuff.
Hopefully we can get a beta out soon!

Update:
Version 0.3.0 (Beta1) has just been released! Lots of it has been done, the code might change, so don't use it in a live environement. We may not be giving upgrade paths. Please report all bugs in this topic, or even better (please do so, it's much easier to track) to the Bug tracker. Give us as much explanation as possible, so we can find the bugs faster. Thank you very much! Please help to betatest it :)
Also please note that the documentation hasn't been finished yet, so it's not of much use. You shouldn't add any support for your own MODs yet. When the MOD goes final, there will be a proper documentation, that you can actually use.
The MODX file isn't ready yet, so use the MOD template one for now ;)

Update 2:
Version 0.3.1 (Beta2) has now been released, and most of Beta1's bugs have been fixed. I'm aiming especially for feedback about the code, but you can never test it too much! Thanks to all the testers :)

Progress:
SQL Structure Image
Constants / Log types Image
Function(s) / log_action() Image
Adding functions to user pages (posting.php ect) Image
Adding functions to modcp (modcp.php) Image
Adding functions to acp Image
ACP config Image
ACP log lookup (view log page) Image
-- Filters / Sort / Search

Total Progress:

Resources:
[BETA] CodeCrush IP log
[ABD] Forum Secretary
[2.0.6] Log Actions MOD
Last edited by igorw on Sat May 05, 2007 10:00 am, edited 18 times in total.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

Reserved Post for later (What a good idea drathbun :))
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* »

What about an error log?
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

*=Matt=* wrote: What about an error log?

Aaah, yes. Forgot about that one :)
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

I'm going to backport Olympus' logger, but add some more features. Olympus doesn't log enough for my taste, and isn't configurable, witch this will be :)

I have already started looking at olympus' code, and it's quite hard, but i'll manage. If anybody wants to help me, you can PM me. I'm also in #phpbbmod often (*pimp*).

The next 2 weeks i'm going to be on vacation, so i won't be able to work on it. I need these holidays :D. Well just don't worry if i don't post. I'll be back and coding then :wink:
hmartin

Post by hmartin »

I'm looking forward to this mod... pm me if you want help with anything.
crazyhellos

Post by crazyhellos »

I've also got an idea. For me it would be great to view the logs per week or per month per page so that I can keep track of how actief some users are and what they do. We are an carclub so this would be great to take to an meeting. Hope you can intergrate this in the admin panel. :lol:

Thanks in forward
mshiznitzh

Post by mshiznitzh »

Sounds like a great mod.
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

hmartin: Will do, thanks for the offer.

crazyhellos: I will have an option like in viewforum, like "view last week / month / year" :)
secretivecoder

Post by secretivecoder »

This sounds like a grate MOD.
Just wonderin will it log PM's. For example will it just log when and who sends PM's or will it also keep copies of the PM's. Could be very useful as people report abuse through PM's but they can be deleted by users.

PS will i have the same function structure as Forum Secretary as in will other mods be able to use this logger??
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

Thanks, well it will not log PMs content. It will however log who sends a PM when. I believe that admins shouldn't be reading PMs, so i won't give them the possibility (yes i know its anyway possible).

Well i didn't see much of Forum Secretary, so i can't tell. But it will be possible to easily add support using MODs (i hope) :)
secretivecoder

Post by secretivecoder »

Thanks for the fast reply after reading what you wrote i agree that admins shouldnt read PM's but may want or need to so im behind ya for not adding that feature. :wink:

Here is what i was talking about with Forum Secretary:
Any other MOD can add support for Forum Secretary by simply calling one of the three functions in Forum Secretary which add log entries. And, by using PHP's function_exists() function to conditionally check for a function, the same code will work for boards with Forum Secretary installed, and boards without. Adding support in your MODs is effortless.

When are you planning on starting the MOD and if you have how far you got ??

BTW in the topic subject you've put [MWW] im thinkin it should be [MMW] ?? :)
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

Yeah, that should be possible, but is also up to the modders to do so :)

Thanks for pointing that out, it's not the modding's wost wanted, is it? :D
secretivecoder

Post by secretivecoder »

No probs

How well you doin with the MOD so far ??
vcsowner

Post by vcsowner »

Is there an update on this mod?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”