[RC1] myVIPcode - fight spam registrations

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Albert Wiersch
Name: Albert Wiersch

[RC1] myVIPcode - fight spam registrations

Postby Albert Wiersch » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:45 pm

I was given permission by the author to distribute this mod. I am not the author. It's a great mod to stop spam registrations. It's great because it is so simple and small yet extremely effective.

The actual MOD author is Martin Aignesberger, http://www.aignes.com

Basically, it requires users to enter a VIP code to register. You put the VIP code somewhere on your website and tell the user where to find it. You'll have to configure the mod with your own VIP code and decide where to put the VIP code on your website and then direct the user to it. For example, I put my VIP code on the support page and I tell the users to get the VIP code from the support page.

Or, you can just ask a question have the answer right there - like "The VIP code is the word that starts with 'o' and ends with 'rganic' (all lowercase).".

This mod is so effective that I recommend turning OFF the visual confirmation to make it easier for your users to register. The visual confirmation isn't very effective anyway.

Download it here:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/myvipcode.zip

In the ZIP file is a mod file that can be read using a normal text editor. Follow the instructions in the mod file, customizing it to your liking and changing the default VIP code of 2486 to what you want (the code is case sensitive). You'll have to decide where to locate the VIP code on your website.

I've been using it with great results. So have a lot of other people.

Here is the forum where I use it:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/CSEForum/
Last edited by Albert Wiersch on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Joe Belmaati

Postby Joe Belmaati » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:48 pm

Albert, I know you didn't write this MOD, but I hope the html in it (if any) is 100% valid .. :D :twisted: :lol:

Ramon Fincken

Postby Ramon Fincken » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:29 pm

We'll soon find out ;)

once again... Albert, if you need any assistance creating a simple ACP option to change the value let me know
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

Albert Wiersch

Postby Albert Wiersch » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:09 pm

Ramon Fincken wrote:We'll soon find out ;)

once again... Albert, if you need any assistance creating a simple ACP option to change the value let me know

I'd be interested in doing this if I wasn't already so busy (sounds like fun though)! :)
Last edited by Albert Wiersch on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Postby Marshalrusty » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:03 pm

The MOD above doesn't follow the standard MOD guidelines. This doesn't affect functionality (in most cases), but may cause a problem if you have multiple templates/languages installed or if you want to use EasyMOD.

I have made a more compliant version which you can find here: http://www.marshalrusty.com/phpBB/vip.mod

- Marshal ;)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Forumatic - Hassle-free phpBB Forum Hosting

Albert Wiersch

Postby Albert Wiersch » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:The MOD above doesn't follow the standard MOD guidelines. This doesn't affect functionality (in most cases), but may cause a problem if you have multiple templates/languages installed or if you want to use EasyMOD.

I have made a more compliant version which you can find here: http://www.marshalrusty.com/phpBB/vip.mod

- Marshal ;)

Thanks Marshal, but people should be aware that the more compliant version significantly increases the size and complexity of the mod... so I don't think people should use it unless it provides some increase in functionality to them. Otherwise, the original, "non-compliant" version is quite simple and easy to use (which is one of the reasons that I think this mod is so great).

Ramon Fincken

Postby Ramon Fincken » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:31 pm

* Clean phpbb 2.0.21
* search tool : araneae and textpad

I can never find this:

Code: Select all

'L_CONFIRM_CODE_EXPLAIN' => $lang['Confirm_code_explain'],

make the search for :

'L_CONFIRM_CODE_EXPLAIN'   => $lang['Confirm_code_explain'],

perhaps it's me but I have to find it manually each time

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]

mmiller

Postby mmiller » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 pm

I've never been the brightest bulb on the tree, so maybe the answer to this is obvious:

Does it make it any easier for the bots to put the VIP code in on the actual registration page to the left of the VIP field? I'm not understanding why we need the users to do extra actions to find out the code.

Just a note that says - "in order to fight spam, please type this into the box to the right..."

I admin a forum that whose users are old AND lack sleep. I need to make things as easy as possible. :lol:

Ramon Fincken

Postby Ramon Fincken » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:43 am

mmiller wrote:I've never been the brightest bulb on the tree, so maybe the answer to this is obvious:

Does it make it any easier for the bots to put the VIP code in on the actual registration page to the left of the VIP field? I'm not understanding why we need the users to do extra actions to find out the code.

Just a note that says - "in order to fight spam, please type this into the box to the right..."

I admin a forum that whose users are old AND lack sleep. I need to make things as easy as possible. :lol:

The intention of this code is that a normal human-beeing will read the txt and find the code on their on. ( put it in a annoucement )
Bots will most likely copy paste the field value if it is visible on the register page. So... make an annoucement and you're done :)

cooleydd

Postby cooleydd » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:44 pm

I have installed the mod on the latest version but where do I insert the actual VIP code. What is the default on installation.
----------------------------
Don
Version 2.0.21 and version 3.0.1 (prosilver)
Mods - 2.0.21: Register User, Mark Unread, FlashChat, Smartfeed, Digest
Mods - 3.0.1: FlashChat installed

Albert Wiersch

Postby Albert Wiersch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:09 am

cooleydd wrote:I have installed the mod on the latest version but where do I insert the actual VIP code. What is the default on installation.

Take a look at the VIP mod in a text editor and look at the code. It's fairly simple to figure out what you have to do and change.

cooleydd

Postby cooleydd » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 am

I installed and did exactly that. Tried but did not find it. You need instructions on what line to change. Remember we are not programmers.

I had to uninstall until I could get the right place to change the code.
Don

Albert Wiersch

Postby Albert Wiersch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:00 am

cooleydd wrote:I installed and did exactly that. Tried but did not find it. You need instructions on what line to change. Remember we are not programmers.

I had to uninstall until I could get the right place to change the code.

Change this in the mod (the default VIP code)

'2486'

Change it to the VIP code you want... change only the text in the apostrophies and leave the apostrophies.

Change the text where it tells the user where to find the VIP code to what you want:

You can find a valid <b>VIP code</b> on the WebSite-Watcher Support page.

and here (repeated twice - this one a little different)

You can find a valid <b>VIP code</b> on the WebSite-Watcher Support page!

Curlywee

Postby Curlywee » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Thanks so much Albert for pointing us to the VIPCode mod.

A forum I administer suffered defacement and flooding with spurious memberships and unwanted posts. Having successfully removed the defacement and deleted the users and posts, I went on to upgrade to 2.0.21, enabled account activation and visual confirmation, and disabled guest postings.

Of all these, I set greatest store by visual confirmation, so was very surprised when unwanted membership registration continued despite everything (I know now from reading various threads that visual confirmation is far from being the Holy Grail I expected it to be). I installed the VIPCode mod two days ago and have been free of problems since, which is the longest trouble-free period in a long time.

Thanks again.

cooleydd

Postby cooleydd » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 pm

Curleywee

Did you leave the visual confirmation showing?

I have installed the mod and turned off the visual as it gave us some problems with some members (AOL seemed to have trouble). We had to do some workarounds to get them registered.

I put the VIP code on the web and referred to it. We will see what happens. On the web page I put the code in RED and refereed to one of the words on this page is in Red - that is the VIP code.

I thought about putting it on the same page as I don't think bots would pick it up using the color thing as above.

Just got installed late last night - we will see what happens.
Don

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”