Jabber support in user profiles

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
kNIGits

Jabber support in user profiles

Post by kNIGits » Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:55 am

G'day all

There seems to be more and more Instant Messaging systems every day, and many of them have been added to the phpBB user profiles. I help run a website for a Jabber client called Psi, and the only thing stopping us deploying phpBB is the fact that there's no place in the profiles for our users to put their Jabber ID.

My mod request - can someone please add support for Jabber in the user profiles? I have created an icon graphic to use (below), I just need an enterprising mod author to write the code.

Regards

Tony
Last edited by kNIGits on Fri May 02, 2003 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tired of AOL/MS owning Instant Messaging? Check out Jabber, an open IM system!

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:31 am

I'll take this on, seeing how I've almost got it finished...

Two Questions:

What are the limitations on the Jabber username?

What takes place with the icon is clicked? (if popup or jabber loads, or the like, your going to need to provide me the code for this... or somewhere where it's documented)

kNIGits

Post by kNIGits » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:05 pm

I don't think there are any limitations on the Jabber ID (JID). It is written the same way as an email address: user@host.com. Detailed information on the JID can be found here.

There is a spec (found here) that proposes a standard for what happens when a JID is clicked in a browser. I quote the most relevant part:
Example 2. Invoking an Interface to Send a Message to a JID
jabber:user@host?message

Example 3. Invoking an Interface to Send Presence to a JID
jabber:user@host?presence

Example 4. Invoking an Interface to Send a Subscription Request to a JID
jabber:user@host?subscribe

Note that this spec isn't a Jabber standard yet, and all current browsers will generate an error when confronted by the jabber: protocol.

We have contacted the Jabber foundation about a web-based vCard search, where you can have something like http://www.jabber.org/getvcard?knigits@jabber.org. Please hold off just a few days until we get a reply about it, since this is probably the best solution.

Regards

Tony

stpeter

Post by stpeter » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:20 am

kNIGits wrote: There is a spec (found here) that proposes a standard for what happens when a JID is clicked in a browser.

Note that this spec isn't a Jabber standard yet, and all current browsers will generate an error when confronted by the jabber: protocol.

I wrote that spec but it's definitely not final yet. I will make time to work on it again in the next week or two. It's somewhat related to the working group we're hoping to form soon in the IETF so I need to make it a bit more compliant with the URI spec and some IETF suggestions for instant messaging. Email or Jabber me if you have questions (both addresses are stpeter@jabber.org). --Peter Saint-Andre

kNIGits

Post by kNIGits » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:35 pm

AbelaJohnB wrote: I'll take this on, seeing how I've almost got it finished...

What takes place with the icon is clicked? (if popup or jabber loads, or the like, your going to need to provide me the code for this... or somewhere where it's documented)

I'm working on getting together a php script that searches for and displays a Jabber user's vCard.

When the Jabber icon is clicked, can you make it open a popup window that calls vcard.php?s=JID, where the JID is the user's Jabber ID? I will work on providing the vcard.php script as soon as I can.

Regards

Tony

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:45 pm

Hello stpeter, kNIGits.

Thanks for the replies.

Looked over that info stpeter. Pretty intense.

@kNIGits, pretty much all we need is some sort of API (or the like) to interface with Jabber (be it server or software).

For instance:
When you click the AIM icon, a AIM window opens.
When you click the YIM icon, it takes you to yahoo to send a message.
When you click the MSN icon, it takes you to the users profile page.

This is what needs to be figured out. Once the icon is clicked, what actions take place. Does Jabber have a buildt in 'open window' like AIM? Or does it go to a 'send message' like the YIM does? Or just take it to the users profile with a listed Jabber username? Or, perhaps something else (like what your working on)

Once this issue is answered and a solution is provided, I'll get it finished up and released for you!

Thanks.

kNIGits

Post by kNIGits » Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:38 pm

AbelaJohnB wrote: @kNIGits, pretty much all we need is some sort of API (or the like) to interface with Jabber (be it server or software).

Unfortunately, I don't think that an URI API exists right now. stpeter wrote the spec, but it hasn't been accepted into the main Jabber stream yet, and certainly no clients (that I know of) support it yet.
For instance: When you click the AIM icon, a AIM window opens.

This is what stpeter's spec tries to define. If someone clicks a jabber: link in their browser, then it opens a new message window in your Jabber client. Unfortunately, no clients support this yet, as the API hasn't been implemented.
Or just take it to the users profile with a listed Jabber username? Or, perhaps something else (like what your working on)

This is exactly what I'm working on; a script that opens the Jabber user's profile by querying the server they belong to. If you could make it so that when the Jabber icon is clicked, it pops up a new window calling vcard.php?s=JID (where JID is the user's Jabber ID), then the script that I'm working on will slot in perfectly. If the URI API is implemented later by the Jabber team, I can just add it to my script without needing to bother you again. :D

Re

Tony

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:26 am

Sounds Great.

Once you get done with vcard.php simply let me know and I'll get it all plugged together!

tiker

Post by tiker » Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:41 am

Jabber support.. excellent!! :)

Not sure if this is any use to you or not, but here is a web-browser pager for Jabber that I found in my travels on the internet.

Maybe you can make this work with the Jabber IM button until an API is finished.

http://www.jabberbuddy.com/webpager.html

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:53 am

Interresting (very interresting), but I refuse to interface a script on someone else server (such as this) that is not officially part of the given application. I have no idea what sort of information they may be gathering about the given phpBB member that would be using/interfacing this remote code.

Sorry, but I (as the leader of the phpBB MOD-Team) have too take the hard-path on issues like this one, for the greater sake of the community.

However, perhaps someone else not associated with phpBB like I am, would be willing to do what I am not.

kNIGits

Post by kNIGits » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:12 am

tiker wrote: Not sure if this is any use to you or not, but here is a web-browser pager for Jabber that I found in my travels on the internet.

I agree with John. If someone wants to call an external script, they can always mod the mod later.

My vCard search script is working, I'm just in the 'pretty it up a little' stage. (John: What's the easiest way to have it integrate with the current phpBB theme?)

Re

T

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:32 am

kNIGits wrote: (John: What's the easiest way to have it integrate with the current phpBB theme?)

Not sure exactly what you mean.... but, all I need is the code to interface Jabber and an icon image. The rest I will do for you.

kNIGits

Post by kNIGits » Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:06 am

AbelaJohnB wrote: Not sure exactly what you mean.... but, all I need is the code to interface Jabber and an icon image. The rest I will do for you.

Sure, ok. I just wanted to try and make the ouput of my script look like a phpBB theme, but no worries. I have a tarball ready to go here. It contains three files - vcard.php class.jabber.php and jabber_button.gif

jabber_button.gif - is the icon that a web user clicks when the want to view the user's vCard.

vcard.php - When the icon is clicked, this script should open in a new window. This window should preferably be about 550 pixels wide and 450 pixels high, with no url bar or status bar. This, of course, is up to you. :) Contrary to what I told you previously, this script expects a variable called $jid, not $s. Whoever installs the mod will need to edit this script and enter a servername, username and password for whatever Jabber user they wish to use for the vCard lookup service.

class.jabber.php - This script should be placed in the same directory as the vcard.php script. It was 95% written by Carlo Zottmann (His homepage is at http://phpjabber.g-blog.net/ ). Please credit him in the mod AUTHORS field.

Any problems, give me a yell.

UPDATE: If you downloaded the vCard.tar.gz file prior to 1230 GMT on Sunday 13 Oct 02, you need to download it again. I've made critical updates that increase the reliability of the search. Sorry about that.
Last edited by kNIGits on Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gossip

Post by Gossip » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:26 pm

The URL to Class.Jabber.PHP is wrong due to the automatic phpBB URL conversion. I know for sure because I wrote the class and own the site. ;)

The correct URL is http://phpjabber.g-blog.net.
Class.Jabber.PHP - A medium-level Jabber API
G-Blog.net - Your new weblog / diary / rant / discussion / community site - or something...

kNIGits

Post by kNIGits » Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:35 am

Gossip wrote: The URL to Class.Jabber.PHP is wrong due to the automatic phpBB URL conversion.
The correct URL is http://phpjabber.g-blog.net.

Actually, it wasn't phpBB's fault... I entered it that way. Fixed now. :)

Re

T

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”