[RC1] Sitemap and Googlebot Notification of New Topic 1.0.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
dpicella

[RC1] Sitemap and Googlebot Notification of New Topic 1.0.0

Post by dpicella »

In case anyone is interested, I am developing a mode for Google sitemap of forum topics and threads with support to ping googlebot every 15 minutes when new threads created.

Here are the working files for version 1.0.0

http://fertilityweb.net/viewtopic.php?p=179#179
Last edited by dpicella on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Hello,

Please edit your topic title with a prefix as outlined in MOD Development forum rules, section 3.a. This will allow people to see the development status of your MOD at a glance.

Secondly, please change your MODs version number as outlined in MOD Development forum rules, section 2. Your MOD as being in development requires a development version number as stated in the phpBB versioning scheme.

For example if your MOD is currently displaying v1.0.0, you can change it to 0.1.0 or 1.1.0, depending on your feelings of it's development status. Even minor version numbers (y of x.y.z) are reserved for release versions. If you believe your MOD is of a quality that deserves a release version, please do not hesitate to submit your MOD to the phpBB.com MODDB (MOD release database) for validation pending release.

Lastly, please edit your topic starter as outlined in MOD Development forum rules section 3.f.5. This will allow people to see what your MOD is about at a glance.

Thank you,
The phpBB MOD Team
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
dpicella

Response to Mod Correction

Post by dpicella »

This mod actually works and I there are no new features planned. So it looks like I should submit.

Thanks for the info. I am new to mod dev in phpbb and will follow your advice.
dpicella

Sumbitted to the DB

Post by dpicella »

I went ahead and sent it to the MOD DB ver 1.0.0!
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Please add a topic prefix (in this case, [RC] would be best) and use the standard topic starter, as I asked above. ;-)
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
yorktown

Post by yorktown »

Looks good, but I use SEO_URLS v2 That converts the file name to the subject line

Ex: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=475468.php

becomes:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/google-sitem ... 475468.php

(I would want this URL indexed by google).

How do I mod what you have to make it work?
dpicella

SEO URLs

Post by dpicella »

I assume that in order to make the SEO URL work you are using mod_rewrite in your .htaccess file.

This would not be hard to implement at all. Since I don't use SEO URLs are you able to check what the .htaccess modification is? Instead of appending the topic or post number at the end of the URL we would simply make the same changes that mod rewrite makes and append that instead. You would have the option of setting it up either way.

So the answer is yes, but I need to look at the .htaccess modification.

FYI... the reason I wrote this MOD is because I found an old mod out there claiming to do something similar. I think it may have started out for wordpress or something and then hacked for phpbb. Anyway, when I tried it, it was so badly written I had to scrap the whole thing and start entirely from scratch as there was no way to make it work. I think to also include the ping of googlebot for new topics is also a great feature.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Download link is dead.
dcz

Post by dcz »

I don't think you should hassle Google this much. One ping every couple hours looks already plenty to me.

Do you know about the Yahoo! notification api ?

Very handy as well, but IMHO these type of options seems a bit less interesting since the Google sitemaps was shared with Yahoo! and MSN.
Google bots hits Google sitemaps by itself daily on an active forum, so it's already a good way to provide the last topics URLs.

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
dpicella

How active is "active" ?

Post by dpicella »

I think you may be right that Google already has a way of knowing which sites are "active" and which one's are not.

but...

the "active" ones you describe is certainly not most sites.

The "active" sites may not need the hack or they may just decide they only want to ping google every few hours instead of once a day.

EXAMPLE
I have a site that is around 535,000 on Alexa and which is not that much (it is hard to get traffic numbers out of that but lets just say that I get around 60-100 uniques per day). Googlebot sure does NOT visit every day! That is for sure. The pattern is more like every 3-4 days. Telling them I have new topics is a pretty good option in this case. Most BBs interested in this mod are probably not quite the "active" site you are talking about and just want something to give competitive edge. In this case install the mod!
dcz

Post by dcz »

Have you tried the mx Google sitemaps mod ?

Cause even on forum with low activity it gets crawled reglarly.

Now taht the link is up again and looking at your mod, I find a google sitemaps as well.
Do you mx Google sitemaps ? and what I am planning for it's update ?

++

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

I have a forum with little activity but nevertheless I´ve got Google visiting it about six times a day. Which I consider far too much allready. :?
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
dcz

Post by dcz »

too much ?

Google hits www.phpbb-seo.com over 300/day average, and this goes up to 1500 visited pages some days.
Crawling is required to be properly indexed and to end up showing up in the SERPs.

This is what this kind of mod is helping out to do, increase crawling and indexing.

++

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

dcz wrote: too much ?

But what´s the use of visiting my board so often that all of it´s pages must have been viewed at least tens of times by now?

Google is by far my best visitor.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
dpicella

Too much...

Post by dpicella »

check your logs. use glasses.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”