GZIP Compression

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
sQEF

GZIP Compression

Post by sQEF »

Just wondering, how does GZIP compression help the forum deployment? Does it help save bandwidth .. ?
The truth is out there .. on another web site!

Rene

Post by Rene »

Yes, it saves bandwidth.

In a nutshell:
It compresses the website (not the gfx) on the server, sends it to the client and the client decompresses the data and shows the website to the user.

Vanhal

Post by Vanhal »

And for ppl who have NO idea what the hell you just said......
"Own one and you'll understand"

ktvktv

Post by ktvktv »

it saves bandwidth but slows down the board ?

Berend

Post by Berend »

And a database gzipped is 2 times bigger then a non gzipped MySQL database backup ???

That`s not supposed to be like that?

roly

Post by roly »

Look, my board at http://www.rolysvirtualpets.com/phpBB2/index.php runs nicely with GZIP Compression.

Ratty

Post by Ratty »

I'm glad this topic came up.. I was wondering..
What browsers support this?
Is it one of those mime type things where the browser negoitates, and if supported it sends it gzipped, if not it doesnt?

rmang

Post by rmang »

Any browser released since early 1999 that is HTTP 1.1 compliant can take advantage of gzip encoding. It is not a MIME type. Gzip works by detecting whether or not a web browser is HTTP 1.1 compliant and IETF Content-Encoding capable (This information is sent by the browser when it "gets" a webpage.). If the browser is not, the content is not altered and is sent as-is.

AFAIK, this is correct for gzip being enabled for phpBB2, as this is how mod_gzip works for Apache. :)

Rob M.

ramister

Post by ramister »

Developers explain better the differance of GZIP ON or OFF

rmang

Post by rmang »

With GZIP on, phpBB2 utilizes ob_start("ob_gzhandler"), which will gzip (ie compress) the output buffer before sending the webpage contents to any web browser that can support this type of encoding. If the web browser does not support the compression, the webpage is sent as is.

This results in the pages loading faster, and saving on bandwidth as the webserver is sending less data out for each request as it is "zipped up" before being sent. There is a very minimal CPU increase to zip up the contents before being sent, but this is heavily outweighed by the bandwdith savings and speed improvements of loading each page.

With GZIP OFF, webpage contents are sent as is without any compression.

Hope this helps clear things up. For more info on this function, visit:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ob-gzhandler.php

:)
Rob M.

roly

Post by roly »

ramister wrote: Developers explain better the differance of GZIP ON or OFF

GZIP is better ON

Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Thanks for the info, I had never heard of this! I mean duh i know what gzip is but I never knew browsers had this ability built in, especially the microsoft browser.
I just installed mod_gzip on my web server, it seems to work, though most of the hits say DECLINED, but a few hits do come though and say they're getting compressed.
I bet this will really make a difference for modem users, html should just blast at them.

roly

Post by roly »

Look I use MSIE 6.0/Win 98. A vBulletin (v 2.0.3) at http://forum.spaceports.com (currently down because it loaded too slow and dthe admin thought MySQL was the problem) is soo sssslllllloooowwww some posts'd take 2Mins to load when its only ahring the server with 1 site (online control panel), it didn't have GZIP.This one is on a much heavily used server (SourceForge) and runs very fast, it uses GZIP.

roly

Post by roly »

and someone (me!) installed phpBB 2.0 RC-2 in thier user CGI and PHP server that is criticised a lot for bigng too damn slow. and my board was prety fast!

MadCool

Post by MadCool »

With Gzip on, doesn't it cause a bigger load on the server?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”