Url in new window

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Daan1992

Url in new window

Post by Daan1992 »

Hello,

Is it possible to let open urls in new windows

Regards,

Daan1992
david63

Post by david63 »

I am not sure if this is a bug or not. I would post this in the bug tracker.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Not a bug. This came up in area51. The target attribute is depreciated so they aren't using it. Hence, no opening in another window.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
b3rx

Post by b3rx »

Lastof is right.. so if you want to open into another window just hold Shift key and click.

opening to a new window was removed because most users find it annoying.
b3rxkintanar

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."
david63

Post by david63 »

b3rx wrote: Lastof is right.. so if you want to open into another window just hold Shift key and click.

opening to a new window was removed because most users find it annoying.
First off most users do not know about using the Shift key and secondly who says most users find it annoying? I for one was not consulted and I find it annoying when it does not open in a new window.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Sorry to say I agree - the re-use of the current window is the worst option as far as I am concerned.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Dale King

Post by Dale King »

I think this should have been made an option in the ACP. I would love to be able to control how links work. I often post a link to another part of my site, I would prefer to set it so they open in the same window and if its to a site out side of mine then to open in a new one.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
nuttynovas

Post by nuttynovas »

Or if you use Firefox use middle click to open a link up into a new tab. :wink:
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Dale King wrote: I think this should have been made an option in the ACP.

Since this is strictly a template issue, expecting that theme makers will support ACP-controlled link handling is not without problems, it seems to me. Whether I like new windows or not (and I do prefer them in certain contexts), I'm opposed to the idea of breaking standards in the release product and putting yet another expectation on theme authors.

Just my opinion.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

david63 wrote: and secondly who says most users find it annoying? I for one was not consulted and I find it annoying when it does not open in a new window.

How many websites do you go to where all links open in a new window? How annoying is that? ;-) I personally was not consulted either, but I find that if I am browsing a forum and click links from one topic to another topic... opening a new window is highly irritating. I even wrote / released a MOD for phpBB2 to correct that.

The reason given is for standards. The target attribute is depreciated, therefore it is not used. It sounds to me like the decision was made not for user preference (developer preference in this case) but to adhere to standards.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

well hopefully someone will bring out a mod for us that disagree.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Ah Tok

Post by Ah Tok »

drathbun wrote: How many websites do you go to where all links open in a new window? How annoying is that? ;-)

Not many enough. Usually I do not wish to leave a page, while clicking a new external link. Hitting "back" is annoying, especially if I have problems with finding where I was and go on with my reading.

It's much easier to close newly opened panel, than go back and search the sentence I was reading, where I clicked a link.

Luckily there's always middle button :) but I still don't like the new solution.
kornhead

Post by kornhead »

Ah Tok wrote:
drathbun wrote: How many websites do you go to where all links open in a new window? How annoying is that? ;-)

Not many enough. Usually I do not wish to leave a page, while clicking a new external link.
Luckily there's always middle button :) but I still don't like the new solution.

btw that's it...

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”