Help! Installation error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
cknbb

Help! Installation error

Post by cknbb »

Hi! I went through the steps to install PHPBB 3.0 and received an error message before the Final Stage screen. The message reads:

"A fatal and unrecoverable database error has occurred. This may be because the specified user does not have appropriate rights to CREATE TABLES or INSERT data, etc. Further information may be given below. Please contact your hosting provider in the first instance or the support forums of phpBB for further assistance.

install_install.php [ 1142 ]

SQL : CREATE TABLE phpbb_attachments ( attach_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED NOT NULL auto_increment, post_msg_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, topic_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, in_message tinyint(1) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, poster_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, is_orphan tinyint(1) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL, physical_filename varchar(255) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, real_filename varchar(255) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, download_count mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, attach_comment text NOT NULL, extension varchar(100) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, mimetype varchar(100) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, filesize int(20) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, filetime int(11) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, thumbnail tinyint(1) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (attach_id), KEY filetime (filetime), KEY post_msg_id (post_msg_id), KEY topic_id (topic_id), KEY poster_id (poster_id), KEY is_orphan (is_orphan) ) CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`

Access denied for user 'me@'localhost' to database 'mysql'"
david63

Re: Help! Installation error

Post by david63 »

Does your database username have the correct database privileges to create tables in the database?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
cknbb

Post by cknbb »

I looked at my mysql info and it looks like the user doesn't have those privileges, but it's not allowing me to add those privilegeseither ...I keep getting a warning that says access denied .....so I'm stuck.
david63

Post by david63 »

You will need to speak with your host
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

cknbb wrote: Access denied for user 'me@'localhost' to database 'mysql'"

i believe that this points to some real problem.
in mysql, the database named "mysql" is a special one, and contains information about all other databases, tables, users, permissions etc.
you are not supposed to access this database directly, unless you really really know what you are doing.
twisi, there are two possibilities: either you chose "mysql" as the database name, which is a simple mistake and the fix is easy: create a new database, with a new name, and use it, OR, maybe you just forgot to give any database name altogether, and for some reason the system tried to execute the "create" queries on the "mysql" database.

either way, if i am not mistaken, you should create a fresh database (with a name other than "mysql"), and use it for your installation.
good luck.
standard disclaimer:
backup your db and files before you do anything.
absolutely no guarantee.
if you do what i advise and it blows in your face, all you'll hear from me is: "ah... sorry, i guess"
sguo

Post by sguo »

Hi,

I got some problems in installing phpBB3

In the step of "create database tables", i saw the message
"The database tables used by phpBB 3.0 have been created and populated with some initial data. Proceed to the next screen to finish installing phpBB." But after i clicked, it seemed stuck there. It never gets the final stage.

Any idea?
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

If you are installing phpBB3 locally then increase the memory limit in php.ini If you're not, contact your host and ask them.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”