This is NOT an upgrade

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
darwing12

This is NOT an upgrade

Post by darwing12 »

Hello, I would first like to say that PHPBB 2.22 is amazing and with the added mods to update it it becomes a perfect free forum.

Secondly, when you upgrade a forum USUALLY, you take the most common modifications to your old forum and make them standard such as:
  • LEV - Live e-mail validation
  • Advanced BBcode 5.0
  • gender mod
  • country flags
  • EASY MOD
and many many more. Not only does this new version not improve on these things, but doesnt make them standard in the new version. It's appearance looks unprofessional and childish. The URL links open up in the same page so you EXIT from your site when clicking on a referring link (which never happened with 2.22) and since I havnt really looksed around Too Too much it seems as though the only thing they changed, was some flashy bbcode buttons and the horrible banners at the top. I for one will not upgrade to this version while there is still support for 2.22
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Re: This is NOT an upgrade

Post by NeoThermic »

No one is forcing you to upgrade to 3.0.

I will also note that Advanced BBCode modification is somewhat redundant; you're able to add as many BBCodes as you like in 3.0 by default. Also the gender mod is redundant now that you have custom profile fields in 3.0 by default.

Not everyone needs or wants country flags (I wouldn't want them myself), and I'm not sure what LEV does to comment on it any further.

EasyMOD is not exactly something that can yet be integrated with a release version of phpBB. It is still being actively developed and thus isn't included.

I would suggest, though, that you try out an install of 3.0 before you come to a final conclusion. Everything has changed (it's a brand new codebase). As for what you believe the appearance to be, this is why there's a style ability in phpBB, as everyone wants something different.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

LEV = Live Email Validation.
phpBB3 does that if you turn it on :)
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)
PHP_Paul

Post by PHP_Paul »

Are you joking...?

phpBB 3 > phpBB 2.22

No questions asked, hands down, period. If you want to add a bunch of resource hogging, useless, n00bish mods...that's your choice. But (1) phpBB 3 is more secure (2) it looks better (3) it's almost a decent forum software now.

So don't bash the big 3.
Tanapangarap

Post by Tanapangarap »

NeoThermic wrote: Also the gender mod is redundant now that you have custom profile fields in 3.0 by default.

I have a question related to that. I have the Gender MOD installed on my 2x installation, and a great many of my members have used it to designate their gender, and I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the record of those designations and have them be picked up again if the gender field was added in the 3x installation by use of that custom profile field feature.

Or maybe at least the record could be kept somehow and a MOD later developed for 3x could apply those designations to the profiles of those members who made the designation of what their gender is?
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Tanapangarap wrote:
NeoThermic wrote: Also the gender mod is redundant now that you have custom profile fields in 3.0 by default.

I have a question related to that. I have the Gender MOD installed on my 2x installation, and a great many of my members have used it to designate their gender, and I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the record of those designations and have them be picked up again if the gender field was added in the 3x installation by use of that custom profile field feature.

Or maybe at least the record could be kept somehow and a MOD later developed for 3x could apply those designations to the profiles of those members who made the designation of what their gender is?

No, only the attachment mod will be upgradeable I believe :) It would be up to mod authors to provide some sort of upgrade path for their specific mods, otherwise such date will be lost in the conversion.
tomlevens

Post by tomlevens »

It won't do that out of the box... but it should be fairly simple to hack the installer script to get it to do it. I'll probably do something when I upgrade my forum (as I use the gender MOD on it), so I'll post a hack when I get around to doing it.
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

tomlevens wrote: ut it should be fairly simple to hack the installer script to get it to do it.
read: the converter script.
apart from that, this is correct. depending on how the extra data is represented by the MOD, it can be as simple as a single line added to install/convertors/convert_phpbb20.php
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

The only one of your perceived 'complaints' that hasn't received an answer is:
he URL links open up in the same page so you EXIT from your site when clicking on a referring link

This is deliberate, and to maintain standards compliance.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Pezzoni wrote: The only one of your perceived 'complaints' that hasn't received an answer is:
he URL links open up in the same page so you EXIT from your site when clicking on a referring link

This is deliberate, and to maintain standards compliance.

Indeed. Tabbed browser + Middle Click FTW! :D

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Interlog

Post by Interlog »

Not trying to be pedantic here, but if this is to maintain standards compliance, how come when clicking on the adverts at the bottom of the forum here on phpBB a new window is opened?

The first thing I will change in the coding is to get links to open in a new window rather than get users away from the forum they are visiting in the first place.

Mark :D
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Interlog wrote: Not trying to be pedantic here, but if this is to maintain standards compliance, how come when clicking on the adverts at the bottom of the forum here on phpBB a new window is opened?
Those are part of the phpBB website, not the actual package that will be released, and therefore have no impact on the software itself.
Interlog

Post by Interlog »

I appreciate what you're saying but it has been decided for links posted on the forums to open in the same window "in order to comply with web standards".

Yet... this same standard doesn't appear to be incorporated with the adverts.

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

Interlog wrote: I appreciate what you're saying but it has been decided for links posted on the forums to open in the same window "in order to comply with web standards".

Yet... this same standard doesn't appear to be incorporated with the adverts.

did you actually try to click on any of the ads?
i do believe they open in the same window.
maybe they didn't earlier (28 minutes ago), but it seems the issue have been fixed since.
or maybe you didn't try and just assumed? naaah, i can't believe that... :twisted:
david63

Post by david63 »

It may be that some adverts open in a new window and some open in the same - I have just clicked on one and it opened in a new window.

Anyway is any of this relevant? phpbb3 has its set of standards - whoever is providing the adverts has theirs (and we now know that they are wrong!)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “phpBB Discussion”