HTML validation warnings

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
jrg3

HTML validation warnings

Post by jrg3 »

I use TIDY to validate my web sites.

This "Post a new topic" page has 33 warnings 32 of which are empty span tags and one of which is a unclosed img tag. Granted, different validtors will give differing results

It took me a while to clean up phpBB 2.0.22 with my own template to get it to validate with zero errors or warnings. Never did get subSilver to validate completely, but I did not work as hard at it. I did get the warnings down to 4 or so instead of 30+ on various pages.

I really appreciate the work that goes into developing a project like phpBB, so please don't take offense. It is just my opinion that html or xhtml that is generated using php and html includes should generate code that is valid according to the W3C.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: HTML validation warnings

Post by karlsemple »

As stated previously the template is not complete 100% complete yet, but if you feel this is an issue which needs resolving it should be posted in the bug tracker and not posted here :) Just for the record I get the same issues when validating the pages here, especially the empty span tags.

The bug tracker can be found here is you wish to file it as a bug http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

The single image tag is our ads package.

Other than that empty tags are valid and it validates using the W3C validator.

Tidy's validator is a bit weird,

On the index the only errors are our ads package.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... mmunity%2F

I've been led the believe prosilver will validate as xHTML1.0 strict.
Systems Engineering
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

The empty spans are used to do things like the nice rounded corners.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
jrg3

Post by jrg3 »

Lastof wrote: The empty spans are used to do things like the nice rounded corners.

Uh ... prey tell, how does an empty tag do anything? Me thinks thou needs to give the pipe back to the caterpillar. :lol:
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

jrg3 wrote:
Lastof wrote: The empty spans are used to do things like the nice rounded corners.

Uh ... prey tell, how does an empty tag do anything? Me thinks thou needs to give the pipe back to the caterpillar. :lol:

now now, lets keep it civil
jrg3

Post by jrg3 »

karlsemple wrote: As stated previously the template is not complete 100% complete yet, but if you feel this is an issue which needs resolving it should be posted in the bug tracker and not posted here :) Just for the record I get the same issues when validating the pages here, especially the empty span tags.

The bug tracker can be found here is you wish to file it as a bug http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/

Ticket ID: 5321 entered. Like I said in the report, it would be nice to know if a user has a page rendering complaint that the issue is with the browser being used and not the HTML/XHTML code served by phpBB.
jrg3

Post by jrg3 »

karlsemple wrote:
jrg3 wrote:

now now, lets keep it civil

I thought Lastof was being funny, so I attempted to be so. Failure? My wife says I don't have a sense of humor, so probably. No offense meant.
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Tut tut tut, all the yabbering about standards, without a clue about css ;) (I wasn't trying to be funny, but as you can see, when I do I'm even worse than you :oops: )

From the html at the top of each post

Code: Select all

<span class="corners-top"><span></span></span>
And the bottom

<span class="corners-bottom"><span></span></span>
From the css

* html span.corners-top, * html span.corners-bottom { background-image: url("../community/styles/prosilver/theme/images/corners_left.gif"); }
* html span.corners-top span, * html span.corners-bottom span { background-image: url("../community/styles/prosilver/theme/images/corners_right.gif"); }
So :razz:

(Just to be clear, this is all meant in good humour. And I'm not giving the pipe back, took me weeks to nick it)
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

I'll mention it again, tidy is a bit weird,

It reports things that are valid HTML as errors and warnings, why?

Well look at it's name, it thinks that it is inefficient, despite it performing an actual function. But tidy doesn't know that.

The W3c validator (the proper one) has no problems with empty tags. Tidy on the otherhand does what it wants to.
Systems Engineering
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

smithy_dll wrote: I'll mention it again, tidy is a bit weird,

It reports things that are valid HTML as errors and warnings, why?

Well look at it's name, it thinks that it is inefficient, despite it performing an actual function. But tidy doesn't know that.

The W3c validator (the proper one) has no problems with empty tags. Tidy on the otherhand does what it wants to.

htmltidy knows not the way of the Tao, in how something (rounded corners) can be created from nothing (null, semantically neutral elements). :mrgreen:
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
arod-1

Validation at large

Post by arod-1 »

there are still quite a few xhtml real violations in phpbb, mostly in the acp.
from what i saw so for most (all?) of the user accessible pages are clean.
maybe it's a good idea for us (testers) to validate pages, especially acp/mcp more diligently, especially now, that the prosilver ACP style was introduce to the cvs.
(sometime they even close a report with "with not fix" and then go forward and fix it anyway.... :)
see http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... et_id=2935 )
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

If there is a bug, submit a ticket. You will know soon enough if it is a real bug or not. Do not hesitate to submit a bug ticket though.
Systems Engineering
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Re: Validation at large

Post by Highway of Life »

arod-1 wrote: there are still quite a few xhtml real violations in phpbb, mostly in the acp.
from what i saw so for most (all?) of the user accessible pages are clean.
Well, 47 errors (on this page) does not seem very valid to me. :?

Just report them to the Bug Tracker as you find them.
Nicholas the Italian

Re: Validation at large

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Highway of Life wrote: Well, 47 errors (on this page) does not seem very valid to me. :?

Your messages added 5 more, now they are 52... :P

[edit]59...[/edit]
[edit2]now 58 8O [/edit]
Whatever I say, it's not my fault.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”