Can Admin's View User's PM Inbox?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
iSeek

Can Admin's View User's PM Inbox?

Post by iSeek »

I have a situation going down where a user is suspected of illegal activity stemming from my forum. At this point I don't want to say much. I hold dear the forum members' right to some form of privacy at my forum. A little time has to pass before I can prove the activity is illegal, but I'm very confident of it and have, in my opinion, fairly good proof right now.

While I would anticipate questions on what the situation is, I'm not going to reveal much until I get more information; sorry.

Questions are as follows:

1.) Do forum members have legal rights to privacy pertaining to their PM Inbox? Forum has server in the USA.

2.) At what point do I have the right to access user's PM Inbox? I would not want to flagrantly access anyone's PM Inbox unless there's a very good reason for it.

I am upset because if I have to access his Inbox, when exposing his illegal activity, I will have to reveal to the board members "part" of the proof I have is stemmed from his PM Inbox. This will immediately let users realize their PM account can be accessed... and 1 user had his by Admin.

Others within the forum are aware of his conduct and are the ones providing proof of his conduct. That along with the info I may find in his account will be what is needed for prosecution if it comes down to that.

There's some info to read here, but it really comes down to answering questions 1 & 2.

Your answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

iSeek
david63

Re: Can Admin's View User's PM Inbox?

Post by david63 »

I do not think that this is the correct forum for this topic. I would suggest that moderator moves it to a more appropriate forum.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
iSeek

Post by iSeek »

david63

Since you suggest this thread to be moved, why don't you suggest which one?

I looked around to see the options where these questions could have gone and saw this one as a viable option. The General Discussion forum, as I have read the criteria for relevant posts, didn't seem like a better option than what I have chosen here.

iSeek
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

I'll just provide a link since we've been there already.
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26781
Let's not go there again.
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

david63 wrote: I do not think that this is the correct forum for this topic. I would suggest that moderator moves it to a more appropriate forum.

Please do not backseat moderate these forums as that is not your job here.

---

We have had this discussion before and there are arquments on why it should be allowed and why not.
However, the real question if you can or cannot do that legally is something we cannot help as we are not lawyers.
You need to contact you local solicitors if you need legal counceling.

I will close this thread before it turns into a heated debate about what is ethically right.
Signature is here

Return to “phpBB Discussion”