Transfering to V3

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Kev_01

Transfering to V3

Post by Kev_01 »

I want to completely remake my site with new graphcs and styles etc. Will I be able to get my site and forum up and then just simply import the database when I'm ready?
david63

Re: Transfering to V3

Post by david63 »

You will not be able to "simply import" a phpbb2 database into phpbb3 if that is what you mean.

You will have to have both phpbb2 and phpbb3 installed, with their own databases (although you can have them both in one database if you wish as long as you use two different table prefixes) and then run the conversion script from the install.

Remember two things; firstly that phpbb3 beta should not be used in a live environment and that you will only get support for an RC install that is converted - so if you plan starting now, upgrading to RC and converting you will be without support.

By all means install beta 5 and find out how you want it to look etc but you will have to redo it when you get RC (partly for the support issue and partly because the cod and/or database may have changed)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Kev_01

Post by Kev_01 »

Thanks for the info.

What is RC?

And, how do I create my own styles?
david63

Post by david63 »

Kev_01 wrote: What is RC?
Release Candidate
Kev_01 wrote: And, how do I create my own styles?
A good starting point would be http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 26&t=12672
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Kev_01

Post by Kev_01 »

Thanks, you've been a great help!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”