[ABD] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.

Re: [DEV] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Postby Pda0 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi everyone!

We know that many of you use m2f and have been waiting patiently for the new version to arrive, with the much-needed phpBB3 support. Well, we have good news!

m2f 2.0 alpha 4 released
The m2f development team are delighted to announce the immediate availability of Alpha release 2.0.0a4. This is an alpha-quality build of the forthcoming v2.0 release, which will see the transformation of m2f from a simple phpBB -> email link into a multi-faceted message hub. Some features already implemented:

* Basic Mail to Forum using POP3, SMTP, Sendmail, mbox, phpBB2 and phpBB3
* Some basic channels like FileWriter (Export), Random Text Generator (Import)
* Basic RSS Feed import to any functional export channel (SMTP, phpBBx, FileWriter).
* HOT! Forum mirroring! Watch phpBB2 and phpBB3 talk together.
* Basic Admin Control Panel
* Message threading
(...)
Read more on the developer's Blog: http://www.mail2forum.com/blog/

Housekeeping!
I did a hell of a cleanup in our different information spaces:

* Reactivated the m2f wiki as READ-ONLY. This site has some good information for m2f 1.2, although some of it is outdated. It has been hammered a lot by spammers though, and maintenance was a pain, so I just turned it back on READ-ONLY.
* Added and polished several sections of the 2.0 development page. Be sure to check out the new m2f 2.0 design and the m2f 2.0 threading uses cases pages.
* Cleaned up and updated the announcements in the v1.2 and v2.0 development forums with download, install, etc. instructions (Note that v2.0 developers forum is accessible only for users in the developers group).
* Did other smaller housekeeping tasks.
(...)
Read more: http://mail2forum.com/2009/02/05/housekeeping/

More information
If you want to know more about whats going on, check out these:

* Our new homepage: http://www.mail2forum.com/
* The developer's blog: http://www.mail2forum.com/blog/
* The issue tracker (bugs, features, roadmap): http://tracker.mail2forum.com/

If you have comments or questions, feel free to post on the General Conversation forum: http://mail2forum.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19

Also I'm trying to update the blog at least once a week, so you can subscribe to the RSS feed if you want, or register in the mail2forum.com forums in order to receive announcements.

Comments, suggestions and just plain cheer is very welcome. If you are dying to get phpBB3 support, or just NEED to lay your hands on the new m2f version... we want to know!

- George (GeorgeC) and Patricio (Pda0), mail2forum.com's administrators.
Pda0

Re: [ALPHA] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Postby Pda0 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Here are a number of useful videos to introduce m2f v2.0 alpha 4, released Feb 11th, 2009:

http://mail2forum.com/2009/02/18/m2f-20-alpha-4-demonstration-videos/

Have fun!

.pd
Pda0

Postby Geisthund » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 pm

I thought George had gone on a very long holiday!! :roll: :lol: So glad to hear M2F is still under development!!
Brilliant guys!!!
Geisthund

Postby Pda0 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Building a channel for m2f 2.0
February 25th, 2009 by Pda0

Hi everyone!

These have been busy days! George is finishing off MIME handling of email messages and building the general architecture that will eventually support full attachment management between channels.

I have been working in the Feed class, adding export functionality and also did some heavy refactoring to get cleaner code. There are still things to be done, in particular the configuration of the channel in the Admin-Cp, but we are almost there.

I would like to tell you a story about what’s involved in building a channel with the current state of the code (alpha 4):
Read the rest of this entry »
Pda0

Postby Pda0 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:15 am

We’ve been testing current MIME handling functionality for a while now, and I must say it’s working quite well!

After the initial importing of a message, m2f analyzes the message content in order to understand its structure. If the message is being imported from an email channel, that means looking the current format of the message (ie. html, plain text and so on), checking if the email has attachments (normal attachments or inline attachments), etc. The way that emails handle multiple formats and attachments is called MIME Handling.

You can read more about, and see some screenshots of MIME handling functionality, in our developer's blog, MIME Handling (Mail attachments) post.

.pd
Pda0

Postby Pda0 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi everyone.

As you already know, in these open source projects sometimes real life gets in the way, but after almost 9 years of development we can say with confidence that we always return to m2f! :)

Well, m2f 2.0 is a complex design-focused message hub. Email handling complexity by itself is a big deal, and that is only one (albeit one of the most important) of the channels that m2f 2.0 supports. So, prioritizing is an important part of our development plans, remember we have only one senior developer (George) and one junior developer (me) right now. If you need m2f and can give us a hand (ie. 2-5 hours a week) then be sure to drop us a line - pm GeorgeC or Pda0 on the forum.

The current state of m2f 2.0 already allows for basic chaining of email, phpbb2, phpbb3, feed and other minor channels. Messages get threaded and attachments get processed, in a basic level (For more info read about MIME handling on previous blog posts). In general, the core m2f functionality is there, even though still in a immature state. One of the fun things that you can already do, and wasn't possible with m2f 1.x, is binding phpbb2 and phpbb3 together (Or two phpbb3 installations together).

Read the rest of this news here:
http://mail2forum.com/2009/05/07/may2009-update/
Pda0

Postby angham » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

how can i install this MOD please ? it is very important for me ..
angham
I've Been Banned!

Postby HogCall » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm

It is only an Alpha release for phpBb3. You should read this topic, especially the last page: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=546059#p2991169
HogCall

Postby Pda0 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm

Things have gone a bit quiet on the m2f front. George is busy with life these months, and I’ve been working hard on my master studies.

Nevertheless, I will try to move the development forward a bit, albeit not with the rigurosity and elegance of George’s software design. Code like hell activated folks! I built a “pda_mess” branch where I’ll start my work.

The goal: To have phpBB3< ->mail working asap. Hopefully later on George will be able to clean up the mess and integrate the development into the main “trunk” branch.

Yesterday I updated some of the code to support php 5.3.0. Also updated Zend framework. It seems that php is becoming increasingly strict with semantics, also there are several functions that are becoming deprecated. split() is giving me a headache right now, it’s beign replaced in favor of preg_split() is more powerful and faster. Sadly, split() is being used in the swift email library and in simpletest as well. All right, time to update the rest of the libraries…

.pd
Pda0

Postby JakeStew » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Any updates? All I really need is basic list --> phpbb3 functionality. The rest of the features are bloatware IMHO and belong in another mod.

Is there any way to simply update the old 1.2 M2F to work with phpBB3? Certainly tons of mods have been ported, so it can't be that hard.

-Jake
JakeStew

Postby Pda0 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:27 pm

JakeStew wrote:Any updates? All I really need is basic list --> phpbb3 functionality. The rest of the features are bloatware IMHO and belong in another mod.

Are you kidding? I posted news just minutes ago!

What "rest of the features" are you talking about?

JakeStew wrote:Is there any way to simply update the old 1.2 M2F to work with phpBB3? Certainly tons of mods have been ported, so it can't be that hard.
-Jake

Well, it is hard enough that no one has even tried to do it. Its like porting acydburn's attachment mod... its far too complex. (I think that he became one of the official phpbb3 developers in the end)

.pd
Pda0

Postby thesecret » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:21 pm

no news about a new release??
can I use it on a live forum?
thesecret

Postby Pda0 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:10 pm

thesecret wrote:no news about a new release??
can I use it on a live forum?

Absolutely not! It's still on alpha stages.

.pd
Pda0

Re: [DEV] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Postby Dog Cow » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Pda0 wrote:* HOT! Forum mirroring! Watch phpBB2 and phpBB3 talk together.

You know what would be hotter? Cross-site mirroring, like Usenet. 8-)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
 Do you use the Apple II? If so, I've got a book for you.
Dog Cow

Postby JakeStew » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Pda0 wrote:Are you kidding? I posted news just minutes ago!

What "rest of the features" are you talking about?

Sorry I was out of sync. The rest of the features I'm mentioning are the integration with multiple other forum softwares, RSS feeds, channels, filters, chains, and trying to be a huge "message hub". You've got all kinds of libraries, 10 different directories for the install, etc..

I only need the most basic of functionality. The kind of stuff that should have been built in from the very beginning of any forum software. For anyone who's not creating a brand new group you need a way to import your old content and some sort of migration path.

All that's needed is the most basic list to forum and post to list gateway. I really like phpbb, but "Phorum" seems to be the only forum software that seems to have this basic functionality. I've looked at their code and it seems pretty darn simple to me. After you strip out all the extras like Phorum specific code and IMAP support (POP is fine) all you're left with is a dozen or two lines of code!

I like phpbb enough that I'm going to try to get something working, but if I can't get it together I'll have to just use Phorum instead. I'm sure there are a lot of users that made the choice for that reason alone.

Here's another thread describin my efforts...
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1016555

Good luck to you, and I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I don't see why it's taken 9 years of development to not even have the most basic functionality complete. I also don't see why RSS and other sources should be in the same mod. There's already RSS solutions, and if you try to make it do everything anyone could ever want and also work with every software it's just never going to get done. If somehow you do manage to accomplish it the code will be bloated, slow, and buggy. I haven't written code in a long time, but back in my day we got the basic central goal done first as simply as possible, published it, and then worked on adding features.

-Jake
JakeStew

PreviousNext

Return to [3.0.x] Abandoned MODs