phpbb3 vs vbulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
sevsev

phpbb3 vs vbulletin

Post by sevsev »

Most forums that receive large traffic amounts use vbulletin, do you think bb3 will start to be used commonly in high traffic forums also? In the past, it's seemed that when forums started out with different (free) software, they ended up being converted to vb when they grew large. Not always true, but very common.

This forum for example works smoothly, and thats with "In total there are 2234 users online :: 211 registered, 3 hidden and 2020 guests". Is it running a unmodded version of gold? (minus the custom theme). I know it also depends on the power of the servers running it of course.
Andrew
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: phpbb3 vs vbulletin

Post by ChrisRLG »

sevsev wrote:Is it running a unmodded version of gold? (minus the custom theme).
It is.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

sevsev wrote:Most forums that receive large traffic amounts use vbulletin,
I'd like to know where you got this from as the largest bulletin board in the world is based off of phpBB.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
sevsev

Post by sevsev »

Most, not all. Just an observation from browsing forums. I have seen many sites convert to vb. I myself am I phpbb3 follower :)

btw, what is the largest board in the world?
Andrew
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

sevsev wrote:Most, not all. Just an observation from browsing forums. I have seen many sites convert to vb. I myself am I phpbb3 follower :)

btw, what is the largest board in the world?
GaiaOnline.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

gaia online.

4 of the top 25 boards are powered by phpBB
5 of the top 25 boards are powered by vB.

Not much of a margin there. However, I think phpBB3, being light as it is on system resources will be used more often for larger boards than phpBB2 was.
Many of the lessons learned from sites like Gaia online were applied when 3.0 was created.

EDIT: TM beat me to it. :D
PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

The reputation that phpBB got with earlier 2.0.x released also caused many people to switch to VB. I alone know of several people who switched over because they "just heard" that phpBB was insecure, or they were actually hacked.

The ones that were hacked were hacked through something other than phpBB, or they were running an old version. The people who just "heard" about phpBB being insecure swapped even though they were using 2.0.22

Sadly they all now pay for a VB license, when 3.x is secure (we hope) and full of awesome features that compare and/or beat VB.
adcantu

Post by adcantu »

I actually run a vb3 board and a phpbb3 board... My phpbb was upgraded from 2.0.22 of course... as for the vb, I inherited that board about 2 years ago. I must say vb is awesome. However, with the new phpbb3 out, I intend to phase out my vb3 board. No sense in paying so much money imho when something just as secure is out there. Vb will definatly have a run for its money.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Incorrect Comparison

Post by Pony99CA »

Just FYI, I think the comparison of phpBB3 to vBulletin is incorrect regarding E-mail banning. I'm an admin on pocketnow.com, wich uses vB, and it most certainly does have E-mail banning. Is E-mail banning a mod on vB?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
ShyMeg

Post by ShyMeg »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
I'd like to know where you got this from as the largest bulletin board in the world is based off of phpBB.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/ ... ture16.png

There she be.
Lurk before you leap.

Cyber-Mommy
:?
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

adcantu wrote:I actually run a vb3 board and a phpbb3 board... My phpbb was upgraded from 2.0.22 of course... as for the vb, I inherited that board about 2 years ago. I must say vb is awesome.
It's certainly more capable than phpBB 2.x. I agree that phpBB3 appears like it will give vB serious competition, especially for the price. :D

The two biggest features vB supports that phpBB3 doesn't (at least in the comparison chart) that I'd like to see added would be user rating (reputation) and RSS feeds (although RSS feeds for very active forums aren't all that useful, IMHO; they're more useful in smaller forums, I think).

Maybe in phpBB 3.1....

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Incorrect Comparison

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Pony99CA wrote:Just FYI, I think the comparison of phpBB3 to vBulletin is incorrect regarding E-mail banning. I'm an admin on pocketnow.com, wich uses vB, and it most certainly does have E-mail banning. Is E-mail banning a mod on vB?

Steve
I don't know if it is a mod to vB or not...but the features page at vbulletin.com said nothing of email banning, so I took that as a no.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
adcantu

Post by adcantu »

Pony99CA wrote: It's certainly more capable than phpBB 2.x.
thats what I meant to say hehe. Yes I too would like reputation and rss.... Also gallery and arcade would be nice additions. Of course a gallery and arcade are mods of vb... which all of the above could be done with phpbb3 in good time. I just like the idea of a phpbb3 based gallery, not a port calling transfer of sessions and such to an existing gallery.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

ShyMeg wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/ ... ture16.png

There she be.
I see more custom than anything else. phpBB dominates the list with Gaia, with vB down the list, and the rest either custom or IGN, with one or two I've never heard of.
ShyMeg

Post by ShyMeg »

Yup, I agree. Just pointing out that GaiaOnline was made with phpBB.
Lurk before you leap.

Cyber-Mommy
:?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”