How do I restore a backup from another server?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
TheFishman

How do I restore a backup from another server?

Post by TheFishman »

I administrate a forum, I only have admin rights and don't have FTP access. The people running forum have decided to move the forum to another home. I have full access to the new server as I run it and have WHM access to this. I can only download the phpBB database from the ACP not phpMyAdmin. When I try to load it into PMA it has issues with several things, I have tried bigdump and it didn't work.

When I add it to my account into MPA, I get this.

Code: Select all

Error
There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unclosed quote @ 95
STR: '
SQL: 
INSERT INTO forum_search_wordlist (word_text, word_id, word_common) VALUES('isn�t', '9976', '0');

SQL query: 

INSERT INTO forum_search_wordlist (word_text, word_id, word_common) VALUES('isn�t', '9976', '0'); 

MySQL said:  

#1062 - Duplicate entry 'isn?t' for key 1
Firstly, it is a large database, it says 13.4 meg but when it saves on disk it is 37.8 meg. How do I manually delete usernames in Wordpad? As there are over 1000 spam bots and only 250 real users. I just want the posts and users transplanted into the new forum.

I would appreciate any help that is forthcoming as I have been working on this for about a week and decided to see if anyone could help. :ugeek:
I am The FishMan
http://www.thefishman.net.au/forum
From Melbourne, Australia.
Crazy-S

Re: How do I restore a backup from another server?

Post by Crazy-S »

have the people that own the other server download the .sql file via phpmyadmin and then send it to you, so you can upload it to your server.

Bigdump will then work that way via FTP.

It's really not that hard a task once you figure it out. I just reinstalled a database from a recent server move, it took me a couple of tries but once I figured it out it wasn't really that bad and only took about 5 minutes with Bigdump, and my database is almost 100 megs in size...
Visit Crazy-Software.com for some great personalized gift making software!

Like Personalized candy Wrappers? Then visit Our Community
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

TheFishman wrote: When I add it to my account into MPA, I get this.

Code: Select all

Error
There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unclosed quote @ 95
STR: '
SQL: 

SQL query: 

MySQL said:  

#1062 - Duplicate entry 'isn?t' for key 1
This is a common error. It means the source and destination databases are using different character encoding schemes, so some non-ASCII characters are converted to the same symbol, giving that error.
There are two solutions:
Either do a global search and replace in the sql file, and change every instance of
INSERT INTO forum_search_wordlist
to
REPLACE INTO forum_search_wordlist

(you'll need a text editor which can handle very large text files without choking. "LargeEdit" is one, but there are many more.)

or, you can delete all those lines altogether, and run a MOD on the new forum to rebuild the search tables.
Firstly, it is a large database, it says 13.4 meg but when it saves on disk it is 37.8 meg.
That is normal, the data isn't saved as efficiently in the SQL file.
How do I manually delete usernames in Wordpad? As there are over 1000 spam bots and only 250 real users. I just want the posts and users transplanted into the new forum.
Do NOT attempt to do this by editing the data directly. The Admin toolkit can do it on your new forum once installed. Otherwise you will damage the data relationships (many tables refer to each other in the database.)
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
TheFishman

Post by TheFishman »

It is funny I get help from someone in the same state of Australia on a foreign forum. Thanks again.
I am The FishMan
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

TheFishman wrote:It is funny I get help from someone in the same state of Australia on a foreign forum. Thanks again.
I won't count that against you (so long as you're not a Collingwood supporter ;))
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
TheFishman

Post by TheFishman »

I must say, using all the links in your signature, I have solved my problems. I has taken more than 48 hours but I have a resolution. Thanks.
I am The FishMan

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”