[FIXED] Trying to change the message box color and tags no

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
sarahclements

[FIXED] Trying to change the message box color and tags no

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:21 am

Hi

(first of all I apologise that I have copied and pasted this from another forum category as it was suggested I would be better placed here).

I have just created my own template by following the excellent instructions on this forum. I used the subSilver as my base and made all the relevant directory structure changes. Then I came onto doing the actual customisation. I wanted the colors to look as they do in my website, but the biggie that required me to use a new template rather than just the configuration manager was that I didn't want the text input boxes to be the same colour as the surrounding page.

I managed to amend the CSS in conjunction with the online manangement tool to get half way there. I now have 2 different colors the outer colour being as I required, but the text input box is white even though I though I was changing it in the CSS file.

I had assumed that ...

}

/* The text input fields background colour */
input.post, textarea.post, select {
bgcolor : #000000;
}

was the background color of the area that I get people to type posts in, but changing that makes no difference.

Also the tags are no longer working. I select a color /style form the message body area and the tags appear in the message box, but when I preview or submit they just apear as text (yes HTML is enabled). I'm not sure which file to show to you here as I had tried to help myself by searching the forum and had found one that was to to with the posting_body.tpl so I made the changes reccommended and that didn't help me at all.

anyone out there got any ideas.

web address www.sarahcsweb.co.uk

Many thanks

Sarah
Last edited by sarahclements on Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balint

Post by Balint » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:19 am

Hi!

I looked over the code of your site... the page source looks like this:

Code: Select all

background-color : #;
}
So you have to go to the Administration panel --> Styles Admin --> Management, choose your style (Edit) and change the Table Cell Colour 2 to your value: #3E547E e.g. This will affect all white areas... to avoid this, change the file templates/xxx/overall_header.tpl directly:

--- [FIND] ---
	background-color : {T_TD_COLOR2};
}

--- [REPLACE] ---
	background-color : #3E547E ;
}

The tags:
which tags are appearing in the message box? BBCode or HTML-tags? Maybe you have to Allow BBCode (also in the Admin Panel, General Admin --> Configuration).

Regards,
Bálint

sarahclements

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:28 am

Balint wrote: I looked over the code of your site... the page source looks like this:

background-color : #;
}
So you have to go to the Administration panel --> Styles Admin --> Management, choose your style (Edit) and change the Table Cell Colour 2 to your value: #3E547E e.g.

I can't change it there, becasue it then changes the other references to that style, which I don't want to happen :( I really just want that box to change, so somehow tell it to use a different class. But thanks anyway.

As for the BBCode, thanks that worked :D

Balint

Post by Balint » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:32 am

Hi!

Noticed that, please look at my edited post... :)

Bálint

sarahclements

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:41 am

Balint wrote:

--- [FIND] ---
	background-color : {T_TD_COLOR2};
}

--- [REPLACE] ---
	background-color : #3E547E ;
}

That was where I started, but changing the colour here has made no difference at all. What on earth have I messed up :? Thank you for your suggestion though, it's made me feel like at least I looked in the sensible place!

Thanks, but any other ideas?

Sarah

Balint

Post by Balint » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:54 am

Hi!

Sorry, I have one but I don't know you want help from me after all... :)

Please backup your board before making these changes!

Look in the templates/xxx/overall_header.tpl:
--- [FIND] ---
<!-- link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/subSilver/{T_HEAD_STYLESHEET}" type="text/css" -->

--- [REPLACE] ---
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/subSilver/{T_HEAD_STYLESHEET}" type="text/css">

Now you can edit all the things in the templates/subSilver/subsilver.css file. I don't know exactly where you have made the color changes: in the Aministration panel or in the templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl directly? When you changed the colors in the Admin panel only you can delete in the templates/xxx/overall_header.tpl everything between
<style type="text/css">

and
</style>

ensuring that only the subsilver.css is read.

THEN make the changes in the subsilver.css file:

--- [FIND] ---
	background-color : #FFFFFF;
}

--- [REPLACE] ---
	background-color : #3E547E;
}
and the other changes you made in the admin panel. If you edited the overall_header.tpl directly you simply replace the contents in the subsilver.css.

It _should_ work!

Regards,
Bálint

sarahclements

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:07 pm

Of course I want your help!!

I'm backing up now and will get back to you shortly! :wink:

sarahclements

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:13 pm

You are now officially my most favourite person.

That worked a treat.

Thanks so much

Sarah :D

Balint

Post by Balint » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:42 pm

Hello!

Thanks! :D

Because I have some spare time, I thought the white borders around the images aren't looking good so I created the image-set for your background. You can download it here. Unpack the contents of the ZIP and copy it to your templates/subSilver/images directory...

Regards,
Bálint

sarahclements

Images

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:00 pm

That's very kind of you, I've downloaded them and ftp'd them up to my site, but they still look kinda white on the curves, although in Paint Shop Pro they look geat. I thought I may put a square border around them to solve the issue what do you think?

Also as you're so helpful, do you have any idea why when I'm not logged in my cell gif doesn't fill all of the 'last post' column yet when I am logged in it looks fine.

From a very grateful newbie to a newly found guru! :lol:

Balint

Post by Balint » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:47 pm

Hi!

OK, this is complicated...

You have to place some of the images in the lang_english subdirectory of templates/xxx/images:

data.txt
dir.txt
icon_aim.gif
icon_edit.gif
icon_email.gif
icon_icq_add.gif
icon_ip.gif
icon_msnm.gif
icon_pm.gif
icon_profile.gif
icon_quote.gif
icon_search.gif
icon_www.gif
icon_yim.gif
msg_newpost.gif
post.gif
reply.gif
reply-locked.gif
Issue "Cell pic": Try to open your forum in a new browser window and hit F5 (in Internet Explorer) to refresh the contents. I registered at your board and first I had the same problem but when I reloaded the page it was all right in both logged-in and logged-out.

Regards,
Bálint

sarahclements

Post by sarahclements » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:17 pm

Looking really good now :D thanks, just 3 images that seem to be a bit flakey, the hot post in the key and the new topic. So I'm going to take a look at those.

I am very grateful for your help though

Thanks

Sarah

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”