tabulated survey at topic head

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Post by Extensions Robot » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Modification name: tabulated survey at topic head
Author: asinshesq
Modification description: Allow users who are entitled to post polls to design surveys that will appear at the top of a topic. Users will be able to respond to the survey by clicking a button...each user response will appear at the topic head
Modification version: 1.0.10
Tested on phpBB version: 3.0.6

Download file: tabulated_survey_1-0-10.zip
File size: 526.57 KiB

Modification overview page: View

The phpBB Team is not responsible nor required to provide support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB Extensions Team may not be able to provide support.

-->Modification support<--
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 11 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Modification validated/released

Notes:
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:11 pm

edit: if you want the flexibility to save surveys with drafts you can use the following 'save full drafts' mod that allows you to save polls, surveys, etc. with drafts: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1521545 )

Thanks for validating this mod, A_Jelly_Doughnut. It's a long one, so I know that was a lot of work!

This mod is a port over to phpbb3 of the tabulated survey mod I did for phpbb2. Here's a more detailed explanation of what the mod does:

The mod lets any authorized user design a survey that will appear at the top of a topic (like a poll does). As users answer the questions, their names appear on the left column and their individual answers appear on columns to the right with totals at the bottom where appropriate.

A form allows the designing user to specify:
  • The name of the survey (sometimes this would be an overall question or text that introduces the real questions)
  • which group or groups are supposed to answer the survey
  • whether users who answer the survey should be shown in the left column or left out
  • whether the answers to the survey (the rows in the survey) should be shown alphabetically by the username column, alphabetically (or reverse alphabetically) by the first answer column or in the order in which users submitted the answers
  • whether the users in the group answering the survey who have NOT already answered the survey should be listed as non-responders (I think of this as a 'Hall of Shame')
  • the column widths for the username column and for each question column (if you leave these blank the browser will just do whatever it thinks makes sense, which usually looks pretty good)
In addition, for each question, the admin specifies:
  • how the users will input the answer (small text blank, large text blank, text area, checkbox/radio buttons or drop down menu, and if checkbox/radio buttons or drop down menu the various possible selections for the user to pick from)
  • whether the responses for the question should be totalled and if so, how they should be totalled (by number of users responding, by the sum of the numbers the users put in their responses, by average of the numbers the users put in their responses or by the total number of responses that match text the designer of the survey specifies)
  • the maximum number of users that can respond to a particular question before additional users are no longer asked that question
The survey can be something really simple like "who is coming to the charity event" or it can be something much more complex. For example, the survey could be about a large pot luck dinner where the questions basically divvy up responsiblity for who brings what...you could have yes/no questions like "I'll bring a meat course that feeds 10 people (maximum 3 families should bring this)" and "I'll bring dessert for 5 people (maximum 5 families should bring this)" and "I'll bring assorted vegetables for 15 people (maximum 4 families should bring this)"; once the maximum number of users have already said yes to one of those questions the remaining users will no longer be asked it. Or of course you could have the questions elicit textual responses so that you know exactly what each person is planning to bring.

When the survey is designed and posted, it appears at the head of the topic and each user in the groups that have been designated to take the survey will see a button labeled "Fill out Survey" that he can click. When he clicks that button, a new form opens up that asks him the questions (he inputs the questions in text blanks, radio buttons, drop downs, etc as specified by the designer of the survey).

If a user has already responded, the button he sees is not longer "Fill in Survey' but instead is "Change your answers', which allows the user to change his answers.

The survey is tabulated as people answer it so that everyone can see at a glance each user who has responded (assuming the designer does not choose to hide the responders) and what his answers are (and there are totals for any questions the survey specified to be totalled).

I don't have a demo for you, but I've included a few screenshots in the mod zip file (in a 'screeenshots' directory inside the 'contrib' folder) so you can see what this looks like in action...
Last edited by asinshesq on Tue May 04, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 29 times in total.

bardosoft

Re: tabulated survey at topic head

Post by bardosoft » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:42 pm

demo , please ;)
BS Video Saver <=- Video downloader
BS Video Saver Community <=- Our Community

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:47 pm

bardosoft wrote:demo , please ;)
No demo, but the contrib folder in the download file has screenshots.

asinshesq

small bug fix

Post by asinshesq » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:34 pm

asinshesq wrote:By the way, A_Jelly_Doughnut pointed out a small bug in connection with his validation: if a user is starting a brand new topic that does not have a survey and he clicks the preview button, the preview screen still shows a little section at the top with an empty survey. Not a big deal, but I'll post a fix as soon as I have a chance to take a look at it.
Here's a fix:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------
#
includes/functions_survey.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------
# note: make sure this is the first line like this since there are two similar lines
	'S_SHOW_SURVEY'										=> true,

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------------
#
	'S_SHOW_SURVEY_PREVIEW'								=> ($survey_data && $preview) ? true : '',

#
#
styles/prosilver/template/posting_preview.html

#
#
<!-- IF S_SHOW_SURVEY --><!-- INCLUDE survey_preview_or_viewtopic.html --><!-- ENDIF -->

#
#
styles/subsilver2/template/posting_preview.html

#
#
<!-- IF S_SHOW_SURVEY --><!-- INCLUDE survey_preview_or_viewtopic.html --><!-- ENDIF -->

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------------
#
<!-- IF S_SHOW_SURVEY_PREVIEW --><!-- INCLUDE survey_preview_or_viewtopic.html --><!-- ENDIF -->
I'll submit a revised version for re-validation soon, but I'll wait a few days in case anyone finds something else I need to fix.

mcdanielnc89

Post by mcdanielnc89 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Is it safe to install then even tho it is released?

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 am

mcdanielnc89 wrote:Is it safe to install then even tho it is released?
I don't understand the question. Please clarify. (This mod has been validated, and it works fine on 3.0.1.)

mcdanielnc89

Post by mcdanielnc89 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:39 am

asinshesq wrote:
mcdanielnc89 wrote:Is it safe to install then even tho it is released?
I don't understand the question. Please clarify. (This mod has been validated, and it works fine on 3.0.1.)
It seems to be that people have had a lot fo problems with it though, So you don't knwo of any errors that are in it, if any?

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Mon May 05, 2008 8:58 am

mcdanielnc89 wrote: It seems to be that people have had a lot fo problems with it though, So you don't knwo of any errors that are in it, if any?
Seems like you have confused this with another mod. No one has reported any problems with it so far. a_jelly_doughnut (the person who validated the mod) pointed out something that I could improve - something which didn't cause any problems so he validated it anyway - but I posted the improvement just before your post.

mcdanielnc89

Post by mcdanielnc89 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:37 pm

hmm.. I think I did get mixed up.. terribly sorry... :oops:

jbreiding

Post by jbreiding » Mon May 05, 2008 8:26 pm

any way to add an email or pm to all who responded? thanks for the great work btw!

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Mon May 05, 2008 8:37 pm

jbreiding wrote:any way to add an email or pm to all who responded?...
Do you mean an auto-generated pm or email that would go out to each person who takes the survey (at the time the person clicks submit for his survey answers), or do you mean that the survey writer would have the ability at any time to compose and send a pm or email to all people who have taken a given survey?

Either way, it probably wouldn't be that hard to do if you know your way around php and phpbb3. If you want to take a crack at it, I would be happy to answer questions and point you in the right direction, but I have no interest in writing the code for that.
jbreiding wrote:thanks for the great work btw!
You're welcome, and thank you for saying so!

jbreiding

Post by jbreiding » Tue May 06, 2008 2:08 pm

the latter is actually my intent. since you have no interest in it could you point me on where to start? my thinking would be for the original poster to have a button that would say something like email/pm respondents.

perhaps there is another mod you would recommend that is something similar that i could hack-n-slash to get an idea of what is involved.

my knowledge of php is moderate, my knowledge of phpbb is even lower. i really dont care to get too far involved in either, however i would like this feature. my knowledge of coding is mostly system level c/c++ coding.
asinshesq wrote:
jbreiding wrote:any way to add an email or pm to all who responded?...
Do you mean an auto-generated pm or email that would go out to each person who takes the survey (at the time the person clicks submit for his survey answers), or do you mean that the survey writer would have the ability at any time to compose and send a pm or email to all people who have taken a given survey?

Either way, it probably wouldn't be that hard to do if you know your way around php and phpbb3. If you want to take a crack at it, I would be happy to answer questions and point you in the right direction, but I have no interest in writing the code for that.
jbreiding wrote:thanks for the great work btw!
You're welcome, and thank you for saying so!

jbreiding

Post by jbreiding » Tue May 06, 2008 4:16 pm

your edit in functions_admin.php that looks for $db->sql_transaction('begin'); is a little confusing as there are 3 instances of this line. assuming you meant the next sequential instanace after the previous edit allowed me to install with success, but you may want to identify this edit in a different way.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”