1. Update your forum to phpBB 3.1 or newer.
Follow the phpBB upgrade guide. You should also check if you have any remnant files from the ABBC 3.0 MOD among your forum's filesystem and delete them, as well as any possible leftover file edits.
2. Install the ABBC3 extension.
Installing the ABBC3 extension will update anything from the old MOD in your database. It will remove some BBCodes, and either update or add new ones that will work with phpBB 3.1 or newer.
3. That's it. You should be good to go.
In the case of phpBB 3.2 or newer, it's possible some old BBCodes may look broken. They will need to be reprised which should happen automatically over time (may take a few days). If not, you can trigger it to occur following this FAQ.
What has changed in ABBC 3.1?
ABBC 3.1 could not be re-created for phpBB 3.1 exactly as you knew it as the 3.0 MOD. ABBC 3.1 has been completely rewritten. The biggest problem with ABBC 3.0 was that it was a MOD (hack) and was able to hack the original BBCodes as well as use its own non-standard BBCodes. This was not a forward compatible strategy. It also meant that removing ABBC 3.0 would break all posts that used its BBCodes.
ABBC 3.1 is an extension, and as such, builds upon the foundation of phpBB, and extends it rather than hacking it up into something else. ABBC 3.1 now uses phpBB's native BBCodes and Cutom BBCode engine, ensuring better forward compatibility for future version of ABBC3 and phpBB, as well as allowing ABBC's BBCodes to continue to function even if you decide to uninstall ABBC 3.1 for any reason.
There are some casualties however, as some of ABBC 3.0's BBCodes are incompatible with phpBB's native BBCode system. This was also an opportunity to remove any BBCodes and features that are outdated or bloat-ware that did not really belong in ABBC3. The following is a list of the BBCodes that have been removed from ABBC3, and the reasons why:
- These could not be updated from 3.0 to 3.1 (these are the casualties of the unusual way ABBC 3.0 handled BBCodes). Any old posts that may have used them will no longer render them. It is possible for you to recreate some of these as brand new custom BBCodes for use with new posts.
[img=left|center|right|float-left|float-right]img tags that used any of these alignments will not work anymore. Future posts can still align img tags by wrapping them in the align or float BBCodes.
- These are outdated and have been removed. Any old posts that may have used them will no longer render them.
Legacy video BBCodes held over from phpBB2
- Useless, security risks, and dead services:
- BBCode posting page assignments.
- Image Resizers. Really, what does image resizing have to do with BBCode buttons? Although ABBC3.0 had a very nice image resizing feature, we're gonna leave this up to somebody else to build a dedicated image resizer extension.