Knowledge Base

A thank you, and suggestions - Knowledge Base

A thank you, and suggestions

by NeedToKnow » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:37 am

I've installed this on phpBB 3.2.7, php 7.0, and it appears to work fine.

A couple suggestions

* Customize the name in the menu link at the top of the phpbb page. And maybe the page header too. While a knowledge base may have inspired the extension, it can be used for a number of purposes in a static-page context.

* Perhaps each category could have it's own page heading and description.

* A 'preview' button, while not essential, is always convenient.

And so I don't sound critical or unappreciative, I really like that any forum member can create pages without access to the admin panel. And the fact the whole thing is build into the permission system is brilliant. By far, this is the best page addon I've found. Thank you.



PS. On the topic of url's, perhaps including the topic title in the url -- even if it's ignored by the script -- maybe it could then by used by mod re-write in .htaccess ... but it's just a thought.
NeedToKnow
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 am
Contact:

Re: A thank you, and suggestions

by kinerity » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:08 am

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.
NeedToKnow wrote:* Customize the name in the menu link at the top of the phpbb page. And maybe the page header too. While a knowledge base may have inspired the extension, it can be used for a number of purposes in a static-page context.
Hmm, not sure if this is feasible or not. While technically possible, it would have to wait until I rewrite the extension.
NeedToKnow wrote:* Perhaps each category could have it's own page heading and description.
Can you explain better please? I'm not following.
NeedToKnow wrote:* A 'preview' button, while not essential, is always convenient.
This is slated for the rewrite. It's coming.
NeedToKnow wrote:PS. On the topic of url's, perhaps including the topic title in the url -- even if it's ignored by the script -- maybe it could then by used by mod re-write in .htaccess ... but it's just a thought.
I will look into this, but no promises.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
User avatar
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 2517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 am
Location: sudo rm -rf /
Name: Kailey Truscott
Contact:

Re: A thank you, and suggestions

by NeedToKnow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:47 am

Kailey,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Please see the attached image for clarification about the points I've mentioned. No expectations. Just some ideas that might possibly make an excellent extension supurb. I haven't gone live with the phpbb update yet, but I am confident my visitors are going to love your knowledge base no matter what it's called.

Regarding mod re-write: ACP > Server configuration > Server settings > Path settings > Enable URL Rewriting

If this is enabled, knowledge base pages return a 404 not found message. So as things currently stand, mod re-write is not a reasonable option. To me an ideal url might be something like example.com/kb/123 (especially if 'kb' could be customized too) but seems app.php has to be visible for this extension to function as intended. Not a big deal. Functionality should always come first so I think we're on safe ground.

Cheers,
Attachments
kinerity's knowledge base.png
NeedToKnow
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 am
Contact:

Re: A thank you, and suggestions

by kinerity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:14 am

NeedToKnow wrote:Regarding mod re-write: ACP > Server configuration > Server settings > Path settings > Enable URL Rewriting

If this is enabled, knowledge base pages return a 404 not found message. So as things currently stand, mod re-write is not a reasonable option.
Um, if you're getting a 404, you have something else going on. https://www.project-w.org/community/kb/index

I'll look at the suggestions in your picture when I go to rewrite this extension.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
User avatar
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 2517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 am
Location: sudo rm -rf /
Name: Kailey Truscott
Contact: