Warning: The author of this contribution does not provide support for it anymore.
- Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:30 pm
- File size:
- 38.31 KiB
- Validated for:
- phpBB 3.0.11
- MD5 checksum:
- Install Time
- About 5 Minute(s)
- Install Level
RSS and ATOM Webfeed syndicator
Supported phpBB versions:
Version 1.2.6: Submitted for validation. Written for phpBB 3.1.x, known compatible with all versions 3.0.x-3.1.x. (Note: it was denied and won't be available to download directly here since it is not in the new "extension format". You can find it by searching the version number on google or in the support tab, there is a post with a link)
Version 1.2.5: written and validated for phpBB 3.0.11, known compatible with all versions 3.0.x including 3.0.12.
Note: It mentions above "Warning: The author of this contribution does not provide support for it anymore.", but the mod is active once again so that it can be brought to phpBB 3.1.x versions. For some reason, it won't allow me to untick the warning notice to make it go away. I am here though, and the new version has been submitted for validation. - TheSa|nt
Distinction from the standard phpBB feed option:
This MOD is not intended to compete with the standard phpBB feed option which is suitable for most applications, Simple Syndication has the following distinct features:
- RSS format available.
- Flexibility for the end user by using the different "get" parameters.
- A strong feature is the "chars" parameter, to truncate the post content in e.g. feed summary overviews with help of scripts like RSS2HTML (only showing the first "chars" number of characters, HTML and BBCode tags get stripped to keep the feed code valid).
- Option to show the last post of topics only.
- Option to filter on User ID.
Basically all you need is to copy syndication.php in the root of your phpBB3 installation and open that with a feedreader.
An example feed URL for use in a browser that support feeds or in a feed reader is:
The actual URL (location of syndication.php) depends on YOUR board installation.
The manual file edits as explained in install.xml are to activate the feed icon in your browser, this step can be omited or be done later when you are satisfied with the feed result.
Only if you did the manual file edits as explained in install.xml: after upgrading your phpBB you need to modify the updated versions of the following files again as described in the MOD instructions:
There are no settings in the ACP for this MOD.
A few settings are prepared for editing in syndication.php.
Exclude forums from the feed (default = none excluded):
// Here you can set excluded forums by numerical forum id, multiple id's separated by a comma
$cfg['exclude_forums'] = '';
Set the default number of posts in the feed (default = 10):
// Here you can set the default number of posts in the feed
$cfg['max_topics'] = '10';
This MOD generates a Webfeed in RSS (default) or Atom format for public and non passworded forums.
The end user can customize the resulting Webfeed by calling the syndicator with "get" parameters.
Valid parameters are:
- chars=[number] - number of characters per post, HTML and BBCode tags get stripped: syndication.php?chars=200
- count=[number] - number of most recent posts: syndication.php?count=3
- fid=[number,numberX] - forum id, multiple id's separated by a comma: syndication.php?fid=32,50
- t=first - first post of topics only: syndication.php?t=first
- t=last - last post of topics only: syndication.php?t=last
- t=title - topic titles only: syndication.php?t=title
- type=atom - Atom format: syndication.php?type=atom
- uid=[number,numberX] - user id, multiple id's separated by a comma: syndication.php?uid=3,5
You can also combine parameters e.g.: syndication.php?type=atom&count=3
The default without parameters results in: RSS format and all contents of the 10 most recent posts of all forums.
- Initial validated and released version.
- Code change to avoid error when used with MS SQL Server.
- Code change in the SQL query for better performance with large forums (thanks to fonant).
- Atom time format corrected for proper Time Zone handling.
- Code changes according latest guidelines and for non DB specific SQL.
- More enhancements to the code.
2013-06-02 - Version1.2.5
- User ID parameter added.
- Parameter change for topics, option for topic titles only added.
2015-05-04 - Version1.2.6 (denied validation)
- Support for phpBB 3.1.x.
- Note: it was denied and won't be available to download directly here since it is not in the new "extension format". You can find it by searching the version number on google or in the support tab, there is a post with a link. It's the best I can do, sorry