GSoC 2018 Project Ideas
Welcome to the GSoC 2018 Ideas Page
phpBB is applying to participate as a mentor organisation in Google Summer of Code 2018. On this page you can find ideas for projects which might inspire your application. If you wish to submit a proposal based on these ideas, you may want to contact the available mentors for more detailed information. Feel free to discuss any project ideas you might have in addition to the ones listed here. Make sure to also read the GSoC Instructions.
- User mentions
- REST API
- Admin Control Panel UI/UX
- Doctrine DBAL
- CKEditor5 BBCode parser
- Converter Framework
- Improved moderator tools
- Social Sharing
- Chat-like PMs interface
Adding a feature which allows users to mention other users in their posts (for example, by placing "@username" in their message). Mentioned users are then notified according to their notification settings.
- Create a simple user interface for this functionality in the editor (e.g. dropdown menu with suggestions)
- Allow users to specify how they would like to be notified, when they are mentioned by someone else (email, notification etc)
- Allow the board administrator to enable/disable the feature, and also to allow them to restrict some of the user settings
- Useful: Familiarity with PHP and AJAX
Máté Bartus, Marc Alexander, Tristan Darricau
Implement a RESTful API that can be used to interact with phpBB from an outside source. Previous work on a RESTful authentication API can and should be used as a base for this (see the PR).
- Update previously created code to be compatible with latest changes in phpBB
- Add more API functionality like adding or viewing posts / topics
- Allow the board administrator to enable/disable the API features
- Extensively cover the API with tests
- Required: Object-oriented design principles, PHP
- Useful: Previous experience with APIs
Marc Alexander, Tristan Darricau, Derk Ruitenbeek
The phpBB Admin Control Panel has been in use since the release of phpBB 3.0 in 2007. Naturally, its design and codebase is no longer manageable with the ever evolving trends and practicies. In addition to that, concerns about it being over-complex and not intuitive to use have been voiced before.
- Create a concept for a new ACP user interface structure keeping usability in mind
- Leverage a custom implimentation of Bootstrap 4 using GulpJS and Twig to build a modern codebase
- Re-create all JS functionality using jQuery and modern practices.
- Ensure all code is minimized and adheres to our 3.3 coding standards
- Required: PHP, Twig, HTML5, JS, jQuery, SCSS, GulpJS, Bootstrap 4
- Useful: previous UI design experience
Michael Miday, Marc Alexander
Replacing the phpBB Database Abstraction Layer (DBAL) with Doctrine DBAL or a similar library. The tasks includes making it possible to use the library's interface directly, and also wrapping it with phpBB's DBAL interface.
- Knowledge of the DBAL library
- Understanding phpBB's DBAL interface
- PHP, OOP, database knowledge
Máté Bartus, Marc Alexander, Tristan Darricau
Creating a BBCode output converter and refactoring the current editor backend into an extension.
- An extensible BBCode parser for CKEditor which works with the built in BBCodes and provides an interface to extend it
- Refactoring the editor backend
- Familiarity with PHP and the phpBB extension system
Máté Bartus, Marc Alexander, Michael Miday
In addition to installation and updates from previous versions, phpBB also supports conversions from other forum software. However, converters usually can only target a certain software at a specific version. As a result, the possible conversion paths to phpBB are not as easy and straightforward as one might expect and usually requires an extra file that takes care of the actual conversion process. The goal of this project is to create a converter framework that can convert the database entries from any other BB software to phpBB's format with a simple configuration file that defines the "steps" it needs to take during the conversion process.
- Create a converter framework that can be easily adjusted to migrate database entries to phpBB
- Support the definition of migrations using a configuration file
- Required: PHP, SQL
- Useful: Symfony, YAML, MySQL or similar
Marc Alexander, Máté Bartus
Moderator actions within a topic like "Split topic" and "move posts" needs a detour through the MCP. Changing the mcp-tabs (Move posts, split topic etc.) won't change the select-input-field in mcp, too. This leads to a couner intuive behaviour. The idea is to add a checkbox to each post, make each post selectable and open a "alert"-similar popup to present the moderator options directly to the user. So select to posts, select "move posts" opens an alert-popup where you can look for and enter a topic ID. Split topic analog to that behaviour. In addition to that, possible improvements to moderation of topics and posts should be assessed and implemented in order of importance to give a moderators a more powerful and easy to use set of tools.
- Add a checkbox or similar way of selecting posts to split off or move to the topic view. This should be as intuitive as possible.
- Improve Moderator Control Panel usability, e.g. by reviewing interaction paths & usability
- Useful: CSS, previous phpBB experience
Christian Schnegelberger, Marc Alexander
Create an extensible system supporting via an object oriented plugin system any number of 3rd party services to share content to. There may be different options, sharing a link to a topic or a particular post or maybe even a forum, or sharing complete posts or extracts of posts.
User interface changes for sharing buttons/dialogs/etc. as well as an administration control panel page with options on configuring the various services which might require API keys to work. A extensible interface that allows extensions to supply further sharing backends.
- Object-oriented PHP
- Familiarity with social sharing APIs (Facebook/Twitter) useful but not mandatory
Current implementation of phpBB's user interface of private messages is hopelessly outdated. Today's standard of private messaging interface is chat-based (think of Skype, Messenger, WhatsApp, Telegram, iMessage, etc.). Review phpBB's PM system and remake it to be chat-based. Don't forget about specific cases - multiple receivers (analogy to group chat) and a group as a receiver.
- A changes to the phpBB's core that comply with our Coding Guidelines.
- Non-realtime chat-based interface as replacement for current PM system.
- Compatibility with older phpBB versions (ability to update board while retaining all old PMs).
- Required: Object-oriented PHP, SQL, Git
- Useful: code structure of phpBB
Máté Bartus, Derk Ruitenbeek, Jakub Senko
If you propose an original idea it will have a higher chance of being accepted if it satisfies the following two criteria:
- Checkpointable - it should be possible to break down your project into pieces that are by themselves meaningful. In practical terms, this means you should be sending a pull request every 1-2 weeks reflecting your work during that period, and the pull request should be individually mergeable. Avoid proposing a project that cannot be split into 1-2 week chunks.
- Likely to be completed - this involves several factors, but at the end of the day the goal is for your work to be finished within the GSoC timeframe. You should start by detailing components of your project to sufficient extent that they can be estimated. Then, honestly estimate how long you think it will take you. Then double that estimate. If you exceed 3 months, your proposal is probably too ambitious and you should reduce its scope.
As always, if you are unsure about anything or have questions please don't hesitate to contact us. Also, please discuss your idea first before proposing it in your application.